Analytical scientist/Mass spec specialist
Menlo Park, CA
Introduction to Aether
Aether was founded under the belief that synthetic biology will fundamentally change the future of manufacturing. In order to catalyze the next industrial revolution, we are building a fully automated robotic laboratory that will generate enough data to leverage deep learning for biological engineering for the very first time. To do this, we are building a diverse team of software engineers, machine learning engineers, process engineers, roboticists, bioengineers, environmentalists, sci-fi nerds, and world-changers. We hope you can join us.
At the core of Aether’s success will be analytical capabilities, and our collective ability to leverage the field into a generalized understanding of enzyme catalytic activity space. We will build ultra-high throughput, versatile data acquisition and processing technologies for enzymes, small molecules and catalytic reactions. We are looking for experts to help us drive the development of cutting-edge analytical platform while maintaining the most stringent levels of quality, precision, and accuracy.
As an early member of the analytical sciences team, you will use your strong background in analytical instrumentation, mass spectrometry and biochemistry to lead the development of novel analytical tools enabling a new paradigm in protein engineering. You will lead the development of next-generation solutions to acquire high quality data and to support the development of automated lab and data pipelines. You will partner with other technology groups within Aether and with industry thought leaders in laboratory automation and process engineering to shape the long-term vision of the company.
· Be accountable for the analytical instrumentation and processes run across the company
· Continuously assess existing or latest mass spectrometry technologies, select and onboard the most applicable ones to support the short- & long-term vision of the company
· Negotiate, purchase, install, maintain and troubleshoot the analytical instrumentation base
· Lead innovation towards higher throughput, higher accuracy and precision mass spectrometry and as well as other analytical instruments (LC and GC)
· Work very closely with other teams:
o Protein sciences - to optimize protocols and develop high quality sample analysis
o Process and automation engineering - to integrate mass spec with automated platform and to develop QC metrics and acceptability criteria
o Software engineering and machine learning - to provide scientific input for the development and the testing of accurate molecule recognition models
· Document experiments, protocols and operating instructions for R&D and relevant operational activities
· Bring a can-do attitude to solve new and challenging problems in a fast-paced environment
· MS in chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, physics or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform independently at this level
· 5 years of experience as a scientist directly implicated with Mass Spectrometry
· Experience and proven expertise in mass spectrum analysis, for proteins and small molecules
· Professional knowledge of mass spectrometry software to run and analyze experiments in the context of enzymatic screens and Design of Experiments
· Experience developing robust methods and sample preparation workflows for mass spectrometry.
· Experience with general laboratory automation, and/or high-throughput screening
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Experience with tech transfer, writing SOPs, creating drawings, and process workflows
Ph.D. in a relevant field
2 years of experience with Laser Desorption / Ionization-based Mass Spectrometry
Ability to apply Mass Spectrometry for protein engineering or synthetic biology platform
Experience in rapidly growing start-ups
People management / hiring experience