Fundraising Strategy Intern
Do you want to learn how to change the world? Join a startup as it goes from an idea to a team of 40 people and $50M in funding. You will be working primarily with the founding and core team and will have great opportunity to learn learn a lot of skills (aka super powers) from our C-level executives (CEO, COO, etc)!
At Affect Mental Health, we’re building a non-profit Y combinator (startup incubator) to help entrepreneurs build breakthrough products in mental health. We will produce products that are as impactful as Facebook and Google in mental health. Read more about 3 of many different early stage concepts we've incubated; The 1,000 Journeys Project, where we collect mental health stories to map out where transformative products can have the most impact. Meet Malik and Jessica.
Be a member of the founding team that grew from the Harvard and MIT communities with expertise in fields such as healthcare economics, user experience design, molecular neuroscience, and computational biology. Two years ago, our CEO experienced the two most transformative months of his life participating in this program. He started with zero business experience and learned how to figure out what product to build, how to build it, and how to construct business models. At the end of the program, he raised $10M to start his company. By joining us, you will hopefully gain these superpowers!
We’re building the special forces of fundraising and will employ the scrappy startup approach (ninja skillz) to get da monies. We will have an aggressive program to pursue the shorter term, higher chance of success approach of applying to grants and soliciting foundations. We will also pursue people with the deepest pockets. Here the ninja skillz also help by identifying the early employees of successful startups (eg. Google and Facebook) and figuring out all the high net worth individuals in the world who would be willing to give to our mission. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization as part of a collaborative team. You have a positive, "can-do" attitude; you're hard-working, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and flexible.
- Develop strategies to achieve ambitious fundraising goals
- Source and cultivate high quality donor leads
- Assist in coordination of and potentially lead fundraising teams (crowdfunding team, donor strategy team, grant team)
- Work on kick ass projects including a crowdfunding campaign video which will be viewed by upto 1.5 million people by August 15th 2018!
- Collaborate across teams to provide donor feedback and receive progress update
- Wearing any hat which is needed to achieve OKR's :-)
Requirements, you are:
- Deeply passionate about mental health
- Experience being or open to becoming an expert navigator: constantly testing hypothesis and outlining strategy for pivoting when needed
- Personable: highly empathetic, comfortable interfacing with potential donors on sensitive topics
- Experience being or desire to become an awesome storyteller; inspiring communicator (written + oral)
- Relentless learner: you want to maximize your experience with us and learn as much as you can
- Experience or exposure to fundraising
- Appreciation of puns (:
Our ambition is to build sustainable enterprises—unafraid of transforming traditional approaches—that tackle stigma, access, and quality of mental healthcare.
Are you in?
NB: This position is unpaid. For candidates who are University /co-op we gladly invest best efforts in assisting you in securing of educational internships (for credit), financial stipends, financial fellowships or financial scholarships.