People Operations Manager for Mental Health Start-up
Do you want to learn how to change the world? Join a startup as it goes from an idea to a team of 40 people and $50M in funding. You will be working primarily with the founding and core team and will have great opportunity to learn learn a lot of skills (aka super powers) from our C-level executives (CEO, COO, etc)!
At Affect Mental Health, we’re building a non-profit Y combinator(startup incubator) to help entrepreneurs build breakthrough products in mental health. We will produce products that are as impactful as Facebook and Google in mental health. Read more about 3 of many different early stage concepts we've incubated; The 1,000 Journeys Project, where we collect mental health stories to map out where transformative products can have the most impact. Meet Malik and Jessica.
Be a member of the founding team that grew from the Harvard and MIT communities with expertise in fields such as healthcare economics, user experience design, molecular neuroscience, and computational biology. Two years ago, our CEO experienced the two most transformative months of his life participating in this program. He started with zero business experience and learned how to figure out what product to build, how to build it, and how to construct business models. At the end of the program, he raised $10M to start his company. By joining us, you will hopefully gain these superpowers!
What does ABC stand for? Always Be Closing. Talent is the #1 priority of our organization. If we can recruit A+ players, other A+ players will join. Once we have a world-class team, it will be easier to fundraise. We will take both a passive and active approach. We will open applications for people who want to join us, as well as use our ninja skillz to hand pick people away from the world’s best product companies, such as Google, Facebook, and Airbnb. To help us build our organization, we will recruit people from the best incubators in the world: Y Combinator, Oak Ventures, and Third Rock Ventures.
This is a wonderful opportunity to build competence and develop expertise in recruiting and hiring, orienting and onboarding, culture development, organizational strategy, training and development, leadership and management, along with HR policy and procedures.
- Lead our recruitment team to identify the best people in the world to build our organization or mental health products
- Understand the needs of the best talent we are trying to recruit
- Collaborate across teams to provide talent feedback and receive progress updates
- Manage communications with talent we are trying to recruit (written and in person)
Requirements, you are
- Deeply passionate about mental health
- A great navigator: constantly testing hypothesis and outlining strategy for pivoting when needed
- Personable: highly empathetic, comfortable interfacing with potential donors on sensitive topics
- Awesome storyteller: inspiring communicator (written + oral)
- Relentless learner: you want to maximize your experience with us and learn as much as you can
- Background in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Psychology, Management, and/or any other relevant area of study.
- Experience recruiting top talent
- Sound understanding of design-thinking processes
- Insatiable curiosity around why products succeed and what delights users
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working both independently and in a team-setting.
- Appreciation of puns (:
Our ambition is to build sustainable enterprises—unafraid of transforming traditional approaches—that tackle stigma, access, and quality of mental healthcare.
Are you in?
Note: At this moment this position is unpaid. For candidates who are attending university and/or are on co-op we assist in securing of educational internships (for credit), financial stipends, financial fellowships or financial scholarships.