Corporate Counsel, Capital Markets
New York, NY
Legal – Corporate Counsel
Full Time - Exempt
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm’s legal team is looking to add a new Corporate Counsel, Capital Markets to its growing ranks. This Corporate Counsel will help support the company’s broad-based efforts in building a diversified capitalization strategy. We are seeking someone with a robust understanding of financing and corporate transactions, along with a strong desire to learn and grow in a legal role focused on capital markets and finance. In addition, the ideal candidate will have outstanding organizational and communication skills, be capable of balancing multiple responsibilities, and have the desire to work with both internal and external partners. Based in New York City, the role will report to a Managing Corporate Counsel and will work closely with Affirm’s capital markets business team.
What You Will Do
- Support Affirm’s capital markets team in building out the company’s network of capital sources and strategies
- Guide each financing transaction or initiative from a legal perspective, from initial strategy discussions to deal execution
- Draft, review and negotiate all capital markets deal documents, including credit and security agreements, loan sale agreements, indentures, officer certificates, board and shareholder resolutions and side letters
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of lending and securities laws and regulations relating to capital markets transactions
- Communicate legal advice in a clear and concise manner and in a timely fashion
- Provide assistance with respect to other special projects as needed
What We Look For
- JD from a top law school and current member in good standing of the New York State bar or eligible to become registered as in-house counsel in New York
- 2+ years of relevant experience at an established law firm. Additional in-house experience, particularly at a high-growth fintech start-up, is a plus.
- Previous legal experience in structured and/or debt finance (term, revolving and asset-based lending, warehouse and asset-backed financing, loan sales, securitizations and other creative forms of funding)
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills to facilitate negotiations with internal and external parties
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, extreme attention to detail, intellectual maturity, business acumen, proactivity and a phenomenal attitude
- Self-motivation and a willingness to take ownership of projects
- Natural self-starter with the ability to work efficiently both solo and as part of a team
- Impeccable integrity and work ethic
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.