Software Engineer Internship - Summer 2019
San Francisco, CA
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm offers services that empower consumers to advance their financial well-being. Our goal is to revolutionize the banking industry to be more accountable and accessible to consumers.
As an intern at Affirm, you will be a contributing member of our world-class engineering team, and as such you will work on meaningful projects and frequently ship code. Recent grads and past interns have built a real-time high-throughput data processing pipeline, developed an extensive automated testing framework, and built out our proprietary financial platform that is central to our long term company mission.
We are excited to meet and consider strong students for our 12 week internships. Interns will join one of Infrastructure, Risk, Bank, or Product Engineering teams. We are a dynamic organization that is happy to tailor projects to your skillsets, and we will work with you throughout the interview process to determine which team will be best for you.
What You'll Do
- Interns are responsible for developing and shipping a project and verifying that it works in production. Because things are changing fast at Affirm, we do not specify intern projects in advance, instead you will collaborate with your mentor and manager when you start to spec a project that will best contribute to your team.
- You will ship code and monitor the deployment of your work. Our intern projects are not isolated or intended to be thrown away: your team will depend on your contributions.
- We will pair you with a dedicated mentor who will be by your side to give advice and ensure the success of your project. You can expect to meet with them on a regular basis and receive feedback.
- You'll have the opportunity to attend events with other interns and full-time Affirmers. Past events have included Cable Car Trolley Tours, scavenger hunts, and Giants games.
- You will present your work to the entire engineering organization at the end of your internship.
What We Look For
- Passion and dedication to change consumer banking for the better
- Experience with Python, C/C++ or Java
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with object oriented programming
Bonus Points for Familiarity with:
- Continuous deployment and testing frameworks
- API development/documentation
- AWS or other PaaS frameworks
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly. Started by PayPal co-founder Max Levchin, Affirm gives consumers the flexibility to buy now and make simple monthly payments. Unlike other credit options, Affirm offers transparent payment terms (no fees or compounding interest), and employs advanced technology to reach a broader consumer population.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
We also consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for positions in accordance with applicable laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.