Head of Product Design
San Francisco, CA
We're building software products that combine cutting-edge AI (we've been published in ICML!) with empathetic, user-centric design that make the fresh food supply chain radically more efficient. The results are powerful: in live deployments we have demonstrated food waste reductions of 50%+ and profit increases of 25%+ for our customers—initial steps towards our greater mission of making fresh, nutritious food more abundant and accessible to all.
As a Lead Product Manager at Afresh, you will be instrumental in defining the product vision that supports our lofty mission and building the technology that powers the future of grocery. You are user-oriented, think in terms of key performance indicators (KPIs), and geek-out over learning about and applying new technologies to solve enormous problems. We are looking for someone who is passionate about affecting global change, gets excited about tackling new challenges, and wants to work with a team who enjoy each other’s time outside of the office as much as we do inside of it!
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact in the food system--we hope you'll join us!
What will you be doing?
- Lead our design team and help us build and grow our product team from the ground up
- Deeply understand our customers and their workflows in order to design user-facing tools for both mobile and web platforms. These range from apps used by produce managers in a grocery store, to dashboards used by executives in the boardroom.
- Build a world-class Design team that can run a full-stack design process from user research to high-fidelity prototyping in order to build products that create massive value while inspiring delight
- Work cross-functionally with Product Management and Engineering to realize our product vision by designing world-class products that people love to use
- Establish a design language and toolkit that will be used by the entire team and company
What skills do you need?
- 8+ years of full-time product design experience
- A proven track record of building and managing diverse and talented teams
- The desire to dive into an industry with huge problems and opportunities in an effort to drive transformational change
- Proven track record and portfolio demonstrating the ability to design delightful and engaging user experiences
- Cross-platform design experience (web + mobile)
- Command of HTML/CSS, or another presentation-layer framework (nice-to-have)
- Excellent written and verbal reasoning and communication skills
- Strong alignment with our core values: Kindness, Candor, Proactivity and Humility
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the many nuances and complexities of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, our results are in line with that goal! Our technology is deployed across the country and used every day—our customers have reduced their food waste by 33-50%+ and significantly improved their profits.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with several large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).
We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact, at profitable scale, by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
We hope you can join us!
- Please include how you heard about us!