Head of People
San Francisco, CA /
People Ops /
Afresh is on a mission to reduce food waste and increase access to nutritious food globally by transforming the fresh food supply chain. Our AI-powered solutions optimize the multi-trillion-dollar grocery industry's food ordering, production, and merchandising processes. We are the first platform capable of handling all of Fresh food’s complexities.
We are relentlessly focused on helping grocers reduce waste, increase profitability, and bring better, fresher food to their communities. Afresh is currently deployed in hundreds of grocery stores across the United States and is on track to reduce 30 million pounds of food waste per year with our existing customers alone. In 2021, we're setting out to reach a run rate food waste reduction of a quarter billion pounds per year.
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact. As an Afresh employee, you’ll own meaningful work that will challenge you and change the future of how fresh, nutritious food makes its way through the supply chain.
We hope you’ll join us!
About the Role
Our people are our greatest asset in helping us grow and achieve our ambitious mission to improve human and environmental health. As our Head of People, you will shape the vision and strategic direction of our culture while driving the growth, development, and retention of our world-class team. Partnering with our leadership team, you will help us grow and scale, while sustaining our focus on impact, innovation, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What will you be doing?
- Report to the CEO and partner with other members of the leadership team to develop, communicate, and execute a holistic People strategy
- Create a People strategy and roadmap that will enable Afresh to accomplish it's objectives and vision
- Lead talent acquisition and recruitment strategy; build a compelling team brand and value proposition to win world-class talent
- Spearhead ongoing organizational initiatives that enable and improve company culture as we grow and scale
- Coach and develop the People team to grow to be 'best in class' and deliver impactful projects and initiatives
- Double down on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts and ensure Afresh is an incredible place for anyone and everyone to work at
- Evolve our Professional Development program that develops our talent and makes Afresh a place for enhanced career growth and advancement
- Develop ongoing Learning and Development programs for all employees to better enable our organization and provide ongoing career development
- Oversee HR functions and ensure adequate systems and policies are in place for our employees
- Monitor and use data to identify needs and solutions for Afresh across all key People functions
- Lead and create ways to promote our culture throughout the organization to drive enhanced employee engagement
- Develop policies and continue to push our culture to ensure strong employee engagement during the COVID and work-from-home environment
What skills or experience do you need?
- 7+ years of experience working in People
- Experience growing the People function in a fast-paced environment
- Natural coach and mentor with ability to foster relationships across all levels
- High social and emotional intelligence
- Experience designing and leading DEI initiatives with proven results for hiring, promotion, and retention
- Strong collaboration, problem solving, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
- Functional expertise, along with business acumen, personal credibility and outstanding leadership skills
- Ability to make difficult or unpopular decisions ethically and rationally using data and logic
- Ability to work in ambiguity and anticipate challenges and solutions before they arise
Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), James McCann's (former CEO at Ahold USA, Tesco, Carrefour) Food Retail Ventures, Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.