Lead UI/UX Designer
San Francisco, CA
At Afresh, we’re solving the big problems around food waste and the fresh food supply chain--focusing first in grocery. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. The results are powerful: in live deployments in grocery stores, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+!
What will you be doing?
- Lead our design team and help us grow our product team from the ground up.
- Establish the brand, look-and-feel, and design systems to be used by the company.
- Design our front-end tools on mobile and web. These range from apps used by produce managers on the ground floor, to dashboards used by executives in the boardroom.
- Work with our customers to deeply understand their requirements and needs. Run user interviews and experiments to validate our assumptions.
- Apply design thinking principles to improve our products, processes, and other aspects of our organization.
What skills do you need?
- BFA or equivalent experience
- 4+ years design experience
- Proven track record designing engaging user interfaces
- Experience designing dashboards and visualizing data sets
- Excellent attention to detail and aesthetics
- Passion for solving difficult design problems
- Great communication skills and inquisitive disposition
- Ability to lead a team and direct others
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, startup environment
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the nuances of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in Fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, the results are awesome! Like we said above, in live deployments, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with 4 large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).