Head of Product Management
San Francisco, CA
We're building software products that combine cutting-edge AI (we've been published in ICML!) with empathetic, user-centric design that make the fresh food supply chain radically more efficient. The results are powerful: in live deployments we have demonstrated food waste reductions of 50%+ and profit increases of 25%+ for our customers—initial steps towards our greater mission of making fresh, nutritious food more abundant and accessible to all.
As the Head of Product Management at Afresh, you will be responsible for defining the product vision that supports our lofty mission and building a team that will create the technology that powers the future of grocery. You are user-oriented, think in terms of key performance indicators (KPIs), and geek-out over learning about and applying new technologies to solve enormous problems. We are looking for someone who is passionate about affecting global change, gets excited about tackling new challenges, and wants to work with a team who enjoy each other’s time outside of the office as much as we do inside of it!
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact in the food system--we hope you'll join us!
What will you be doing?
- Work directly with our founding team to determine our product strategy and vision that aligns with our company mission
- Lead our product efforts and help us build and grow our product from the ground up
- Deeply understand the market and our customers in order to build products that deliver massive value to our customers and the broader fresh food ecosystem
- Build a world-class Product and Design team that will allow us to execute our mission
- Work cross-functionally with Business Operations, Engineering and Design to realize our product vision by taking products from conception to launch
- Build strong relationships with partners and customers in order to inform product strategy and roadmap
What skills do you need?
- 8+years experience building world-class customer-facing software in a Product Management role
- A proven track record of building and managing diverse and talented teams
- The desire to dive into an industry with huge problems and opportunities in an effort to drive transformational change
- The ability to make decisions in the face of uncertainty and with incomplete information, and an eagerness to learn from the outcomes
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to gather data, both qualitative and quantitative, emerge with insights, and make and communicate well-reasoned decisions
- Technical fluency that enables you to creatively explore possibilities and challenge constraints with engineering, with demonstrated ability to earn the respect of talented engineers
- Excellent written and verbal reasoning and communication skills
- Strong alignment with our core values: Kindness, Candor, Proactivity and Humility
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the many nuances and complexities of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, our results are in line with that goal! Our technology is deployed across the country and used every day—our customers have reduced their food waste by 33-50%+ and significantly improved their profits.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with several large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).
We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact, at profitable scale, by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
We hope you can join us!
- Please include how you heard about us!