Senior Full-Stack Web Developer
San Francisco, CA
At Afresh, we’re solving the big problems around food waste and the fresh food supply chain--focusing first in grocery. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. The results are powerful: in live deployments in grocery stores, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+!
What will you be doing?
- Lead full-stack web development and establish best practices around quality and performance.
- Design and build our GraphQL APIs which serve front-end web and mobile. Build out the database and ETLs which power these APIs.
- Take ownership of our web front-end. This involves building dashboards and analytical tools to help our customers better understand their data.
- Collaborate closely with our product and design teams to build rich and engaging user experiences.
- Build out our analytics to understand our system behavior and make informed decisions.
- Help lay the foundation of our scalable service-based infrastructure to support continuous delivery and resilient systems.
What skills do you need?
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience with full-stack web development
- Proven track record of shipping high quality apps and services
- Strong understanding of API development and good API design
- Attention to detail and expertise in front-end web development
- Collaborative attitude while also being highly self-directed
- System-level problem solving and excitement to tackle hard problems
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, startup environment
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the nuances of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in Fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, the results are awesome! Like we said above, in live deployments, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with 4 large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).