Senior Mobile Engineer
San Francisco, CA
At Afresh, we’re solving the big problems around food waste and the fresh food supply chain -- focusing first in grocery. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. The results are powerful: in live deployments in grocery stores, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+!
What will you be doing?
- Lead mobile app development and establishing best practices around quality and performance.
- Build enterprise apps used by thousands of grocery managers on the ground floor to manage workflows, drive critical decisions, and gain key insights into their business.
- Providing technical guidance and mentorship to junior developers on the team.
- Collaborate closely with product, design, and our customers to create extraordinary user experiences.
- Work with our ML team to build a full human-in-the-loop system -- one that not only surfaces the most relevant and actionable data to our users, but also continually learns from their input.
- Lay the foundation of our mobile infrastructure to enable continuous app delivery and high stability.
- Scale our mobile app development across iOS and Android to support dozens of partners and brand new product offerings.
What skills do you need?
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience with mobile app development
- Experience leading projects and providing technical direction
- Expert understanding of mobile development and best practices
- Proven track record of shipping high quality apps
- Excellent attention to detail and mobile design sensibilities
- System-level problem solving and excitement to tackle hard problems
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, startup environment
- iOS (Swift) experience required
- Android or React Native experience a big plus
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the nuances of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in Fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, the results are awesome! Like we said above, in live deployments, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with 4 large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).
Our goal is to build a vibrant, diverse team that embodies our company’s values: Proactivity, Kindness, and Candor.
Our mission is to make fresh and nutritious food bountiful, accessible, and sustainable. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission.
We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact, at profitable scale, by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
We hope you can join us! Interested? Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org