Senior System Administrator
San Francisco, CA
At Afresh, we’re solving the big problems around food waste and the fresh food supply chain--focusing first in grocery. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. The results are powerful: in live deployments in grocery stores, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+!
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintaining infrastructure and human processes that support the company in planning operations across the food supply chain using machine learning systems.
- Providing support for company infrastructure, including databases, data lakes, big data systems (Apache Spark, Hadoop), compute clusters, containerized orchestration systems (Kubernetes).
- Developing and maintaining effective IT processes & documentation for internal and customer-facing resources.
- Monitoring and responding to support requests from users.
- Creating and maintaining declarative configurations of IT workflows.
What skills and experience you’ll need:
- Bachelors or Masters in computer science, or equivalent.4+ years of work experience.
- Extensive experience with a UNIX environment.
- Deep expertise in infrastructure design, provisioning, and management using modern virtualization and orchestration platforms with a particular emphasis on Kubernetes.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, and other cloud providers.
- Intimate familiarity with the DevOps toolkit (Terraform, Ansible, Chef, and other tools).
- Demonstrated understanding of security best practices.
About 30-40% of food produced worldwide is thrown away, causing nearly a trillion dollars of economic losses, trillions of gallons of wasted water, and billions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions. In the US, about 40% of all food waste occurs at the retail level and downstream, largely driven by insufficient technology and manual processes.
Afresh seeks to tackle some of these big problems around food waste. Born out of Stanford's Computer Science PhD program, Afresh is the first Fresh food supply chain company. We bring the cutting edge of artificial intelligence to Fresh food to minimize food waste.
Our machine learning-powered supply chain solutions are tailored for the nuances of perishables. Our first product is a store-level replenishment tool that optimizes the ordering of items in Fresh categories -- produce, meat, deli, dairy, bakery, and prepared foods. The goal is to minimize waste and maximize in-stock rate, and consequently, profit.
So far, the results are awesome! Like we said above, in live deployments, we have demonstrated the potential to double profits and reduce food waste by 50%+.
We're growing fast: we're in partnership with 4 large regional grocers representing 500+ stores and >$10B in revenue. Our backers include Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm) and Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitchfix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram).