Commercial Operations and Strategy Manager
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to radically reduce food waste and make fresh, nutritious food available to all. In the multi-trillion dollar global food industry, fresh foods are the most strategically important category. At the same time, most technology has been built for non-perishable items that come in boxes and have barcodes—much unlike fresh produce and other fresh items. This technology gap drives hundreds of billions of dollars of inefficiency every year—inefficiency that manifests as food waste that harms our environment and lost profits that harm the bottom line of thin margin food companies.
Afresh's A.I.-powered, fresh-first solutions optimize ordering, forecasting, and store operations for brick-and-mortar grocers. The results are powerful: grocers using Afresh are on track to reduce more than 20M pounds of food waste annually, while increasing operating margin by 40%, and increasing fresh sales by 3%.
As a Commercial Operations and Strategy leader, you will shape the way our commercial team goes to market—answering critical questions about our pricing, sales cycle, customer segmentation, growth strategy, and more. You'll leverage experience cracking commercial problems at other B2B SaaS businesses to develop and implement creative solutions at Afresh. Our business is growing multiplicatively year over year, so the opportunity for impact—both for Afresh and for our customers—is huge.
We are looking for someone who is driven to affect positive human and environmental impact, who is excited to tackle new challenges, and who wants to work with a driven team (that doesn't take itself TOO seriously).
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact in the food system--we hope you'll join us!
What will you be doing?
- Creating a vision and strategy for the commercial organization holistically
- Driving our highest-level commercial decisions by sitting on our commercial leadership team
- Identifying, formalizing, and implementing special projects—including optimizing B2B pricing and evolving our sales cycle
- Coordinating commercial efforts across Product Marketing, Marketing, Sales, Deployment, and Customer Success
- Working closely with the Afresh leadership team to ensure the highest-level companywide strategy is in lockstep with the Commercial Strategy
- Ensure repeatable capture and dissemination of valuable customer insights that are received by all Afresh team members that interact with our customers
- Continuously improving the approach and effectiveness of our sales team
- Building initial sales operations processes and then hiring out a sales and revenue operations team to scale them
What skills / experience do you need?
- 6-10+ years in commercial operations and strategy roles at B2B SaaS technology businesses (Enterprise Vertical SaaS businesses with 6-7+ figure ACVs are a plus)
- Empathy for, and understanding of Sales, Marketing, and Customer Success functions within a B2B technology business
- A strategic mindset—ability to gather unstructured data, synthesize frameworks, and test & learn through hypothesis design, lean experimentation, and iteration
- An understanding of sales and revenue operations (fluency with Salesforce is a plus)
- Ability to build something from nothing—a willingness to jump in with little guidance
- Strong organization and documentation habits/skills
- Ability to hire out a team
- Fluency in coordination across all functional stakeholders and ability to effect change within a rapidly growing enterprise
- Excellent written and verbal reasoning and communication skills
- Strong alignment with our core values: Kindness, Candor, Proactivity and Humility
Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), James McCann's (former CEO at Ahold USA, Tesco, Carrefour) Food Retail Ventures, Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.