Engineering Manager - Data/ML Platform
San Francisco, CA /
Afresh is on a mission to reduce food waste and increase access to nutritious food globally by transforming the fresh food supply chain. Our AI-powered solutions optimize the multi-trillion-dollar grocery industry's food ordering, production, and merchandising processes. We built the first platform capable of handling all of Fresh food’s complexities.
As the Platform Engineering manager, you are responsible for leading the team (as a hands-on technical leader) that ensures the scale of Afresh! The infrastructure and systems that support our data and machine learning efforts are critical, as are the people working on them. You'll be coaching, mentoring, and hiring an incredible team to ensure that as we grow our impact and scale, our software grows with us.
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact. As an Afresh employee, you’ll own meaningful work that will challenge you and change the future of how fresh, nutritious food makes its way through the supply chain.
We hope you’ll join us!
What you will do?
- Manage and develop our software platform and team to ensure the scale and stability of Afresh's critical systems
- Participate in key technical and design decisions as we push the capabilities and boundaries of our system
- Mentor and develop our engineers technically and professionally
- Scale up our impact by recruiting, interviewing, and hiring high-caliber software engineers
- Contribute to company strategy and technical vision to increase our impact within our current deployments and broaden our impact in future applications
- Collaborate both with engineering and organizational stakeholders to execute on our short- and long-term roadmap
- Be a culture carrier for our values of proactivity, candor, humility, and kindness
What skills or experience do you need?
- 7+ years of combined professional software engineering experience as an engineering manager or tech lead
- Recent experience designing, building, deploying, and managing large production compute or data backend platforms at scale. Experience using modern big data frameworks, scaling computation to hundreds of machines, and/or working with machine learning systems preferred
- Demonstrated management ability, including strong communication, coaching, and prioritization skills
- High emotional intelligence with strong coaching and leadership skills to get the very best out of the team
- Demonstrated ability to triage and solve open-ended, ambiguous systems-level problems
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field, ideally in computer science. Advanced degree a plus but not required.
The above represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
Founded in 2017, Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Food Retail Ventures, Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.