Director of Customer Success
San Francisco, CA /
Customer Success /
At Afresh, our mission is to make the fresh food supply chain more efficient, thus dramatically reducing food waste and making fresh, nutritious food available and accessible to everyone. Our A.I.-powered solutions optimize ordering, forecasting, and store operations for fresh food departments for brick-and-mortar grocers. The results are powerful: our customers reduced their food waste by more than 20M pounds last year, while increasing fresh sales by 3%, massively increasing their profitability.
Afresh is looking for a Director of Customer Success to build a world-class customer success function and deliver massive value to our customers (enterprise retail customers who we aspire to work with for decades). You will be responsible for maximizing the lifetime value of each of our customers and will build deep relationships and learn everything about their priorities and organizations in doing so. You can effectively communicate the value we are creating to our customers, such that they are true believers and champions of our partnership. You’ll develop the long term vision for the customer success function and build the processes and team needed to make this a center of excellence within Afresh. You have built customer success functions before, love creating new processes in a fast-paced environment, and are excited to reduce fresh food waste in the grocery industry!
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact — we hope you’ll join us!
What will you do?
- Owns the overall relationship with our customers. Develops deep relationships with wide range of partners at our customers (from executives to project managers), learns what their most important strategic priorities are, and ensures we deliver these outcomes.
- Understands our partners' most meaningful business needs, creates success plans with partners, and delivers chain-wide value that exceeds their goals and expectations for these needs.
- Increases the comprehensive lifetime value of each customer. Maximizes retention and new product purchases from our customers, while making them willing and eager reference customers for Afresh.
- Serves as an advocate for our customers, collaborating with internal cross-functional partners to create additional value for our customers that aligns with their strategic priorities.
- Creates the structures, processes and team that effectively communicates the value we are creating to our customers, such that our customers appreciate how much value our partnership is creating.
- Understands our customers’ organizational structures, technology initiatives, and any other considerations that may influence our lifetime value for each customer.
- Develops the long-term interpersonal structure for the customer success function, and then hires and coaches the team that will make this function succeed.
What skills or experience do you need?
- The following represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
- 3+ years experience leading a customer success organization; ideally has built a customer success team from scratch
- 5+ years working in customer success organizations at Enterprise software companies
- Experience with grocery or retail customers preferred
- Vertical SaaS experience preferred
- Customer obsession: energized by engaging with customers, both in-person and virtually. Passionate about customer experience and a demonstrated ability to improve customer happiness/NPS
- Relationship builder: empathetic listener who encourages trust in others and builds deep relationships with customers
- Value orientation: consistently oriented toward value creation for our customers. Effectively communicates the value we have created to these customers
- Commercial and selling capabilities: able to map our customers’ organizations and execute effective strategic selling initiatives.
- Curiosity: has an instinct to learn everything about our customers in the industry
- Collaborative: demonstrates the ability to work across a broad range of functions internally and externally to deliver value to our customers
- Function builder: can build processes and structures where none previously existed. Has a long term vision for the customer success function and can hire and mentor the right team members to realize that vision
- Self-starter: thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Able to overcome ambiguity and build and create processes without existing guidelines or playbooks
- Stellar communicator: excellent written, verbal, and visual communication and presentation skills
Where will you be located?
- Can be remote (we are based in San Francisco)
- 25-50% travel post-Covid
Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), James McCann's (former CEO at Ahold USA, Tesco, Carrefour) Food Retail Ventures, Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.