Director of Design (Remote)
Product Management – Product /
Designers at Airbase tackle problems at the intersection of finance, accounting and technology while applying the lenses of experience & strategy to provide immense value to our customers.
Additionally, the Director of Design role requires leading our team of Designers. This role has significant team management, coaching and mentoring and career development responsibilities. Past experience in such a role is required.
Airbase is the first all-in-one spend management platform that provides companies unparalleled control and visibility into every dollar spent. Finance teams deserve a solution that eliminates the tedious work involved in managing spend and allows them to focus on being strategic partners to the rest of the business. We do that by replacing the multiple systems typically used to manage spend with a single platform that handles every workflow including expense approvals and payments (physical cards, virtual cards, ACH, check), while also automating away the bulk of spend-related accounting.
Learn more about why innovative companies like Gusto, Segment, Doximity, Getaround, Netlify, and more trust Airbase at www.airbase.com
About the role
You'll be working closely with the Founder/CEO and the rest of the Airbase product team to define and build the Airbase product. This is an opportunity to have a big impact and define how the Design function evolves as we grow. We're looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a company and is self driven.
The responsibilities below are a mix of individual responsibilities as well as your responsibilities towards your team.
- Direct ownership of some parts of the product, you will be responsible for the design strategy, principles and stakeholder management for the design team
- Apply skills from design, user science, analytics and business acumen to identify customer and user problems.
- Apply the lens of design, strategy, user goals and Airbase purpose to address problems in the product.
- Evangelize and communicate the design plan and practices.
- Constantly raise the bar on design practices and collaboration with stakeholders.
- Collaborate with PMs, Engineers and Designers to arrive at the detailed solutions to problems.
- Collaborate with Sales and Customer Success to understand and eliminate obstacles to adoption and usage.
- Work with PMs to plan launch scope.
- Ensure team health, hire world-class designers, career development, coaching and mentoring tailored to individual goals.
- Evolve and iterate design practices and apply good judgement when needed to violate them.
- Help Airbase evolve design practices for increasing scale, efficiency and customer value.
- Develop and share your rock solid understanding of customers and the business.
- Use data and research to define and articulate design goals that will be in line with overall product goals.
- Align stakeholders, PMs and others towards evolving design practices.
1. Identify Problems
4. Team and Practice Health for Design Team
5. Evolve and Communicate Design Strategy & Principles
This role requires
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- You should have worked at a startup or started your own company that shipped a product and generated meaningful revenue.
- 10+ years of experience in a Design role. 3+ years experience managing other designers.
- You should have a track record of shipping high quality products and features and owning the process end-to-end.
- Experience designing modern web applications. Prior experience with a workflow driven B2B SaaS product is a big plus.
- Familiarity with modern UX/UI patterns.
- Attention to detail - great products are all about the details.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
- Experience in hiring, developing and managing a team of designers.
- Experience owning a large-scoped product.
- Experience of closely working with cross-functional teams outside the product team, such as Customer Success, Marketing, Sales.
We offer competitive cash compensation and very attractive equity. A large part of our team is distributed and remote. We're a very remote friendly company and you can work from anywhere in the world.