Counsel, Data & Privacy
SH - Shanghai /
Legal, Risk & Compliance – Data & Privacy /
Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world’s most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America.
This role will be a part of the nucleus of the newly established global Data & Privacy department operating within the broader award winning legal, compliance and risk team. Reporting to the Director, Data & Privacy, in this role you will lead on all aspects of helping Airwallex to meet the China privacy and data security legal framework and the provision of legal advisory to the Product, Engineering, Commercial and Marketing teams in respect of China and other APAC data & privacy rules to support Airwallex’s continued growth and expansion.
- In partnership with the Business leadership and the Engineering, Product and Information Security functions respectively, lead the implementation of China data rules (PIPL, DSL and Cyber Security laws) and develop the appropriate compliance programme.
- Privacy counselling to Product teams in relation to China data rules, in conjunction with the Product and Legal Regulatory team, including the necessary privacy by design, privacy impact assessment and contractual support work.
- Lead and/or support on other APAC privacy counselling or contracting support.
- Support the Director, Data & Privacy on formulation of data strategy for China business and operations, and international data flows for the rest of Airwallex Group.
- Take on other strategic data initiatives from time to time, with the opportunity to take on work for EU, US and other geographic regions.
You will bring
- 6-10 years of post qualification experience, preferably from a fast growth digital, fintech or technology company. Either China bar admission or common law qualification.
- General privacy experience of at least 3 years. China data laws (Personal information Protection Law (PIPL), Data Security Law, Cyber Security law) working knowledge and familiarity.
- Working knowledge of GDPR or another major privacy regime (CCPA, PDPA, PIPEDA).
- Professional proficiency in both English and Mandarin.
- A super commercial and practical mindset, and a self-starter that can identify and prioritise opportunities to focus on.
- Experience of product and privacy counselling in an agile environment.
- A global outlook coupled with deep local knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Adept at working across multiple functions and demonstrated success in influencing a broad stakeholder group.
- Technology, financial services and/or experience in a high growth environment is advantageous.
At Airwallex you’ll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. You’ll be offered a competitive salary and we also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events, encourage flexible/remote working and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don’t regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.