Legal and Compliance
Permanent - Full Time
Airwallex is a financial technology company defining payment globally. In the span of 3 years, we have secured over $102M USD in external funding, supported by top-tier investors including Tencent, Sequoia Capital China and MasterCard. We use advanced technology to enable low-cost, high-speed and transparent international payments encompassing the entire cross-border payment value chain, from global collection to foreign exchange and international payment. Led by a highly capable, experienced, and driven executive team, we have established international offices across Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, Singapore, Melbourne, London and San Francisco.
We are looking to launch our business in Japan and are seeking an experienced Compliance Manager to join our highly motivated and driven team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to build a business from scratch, ensure that our compliance program in Japan runs smoothly and have a direct and positive impact on our customers and mission.
As Compliance Manager, you will be responsible for developing an appropriate compliance framework, with rules, regulations and standard processes that govern how we conduct business. This applies to how financial transactions are handled and how client accounts are maintained and monitored. You should be entrepreneurial and have a problem solving mindset, with excellent communication skills to manage internal and external expectations. The key areas of this role are to ensure consistency of our Japan business by working with our internal teams and our local regulators, in particular, on anti-money laundering and financial crime compliance.
You will be responsible for overall tasks on Compliance with internal and external systems of rules and control, in particular the following:
· Develop comprehensive compliance procedures and frameworks that suit our business model in Japan, whilst staying abreast of regulatory policies for relevant Japanese agencies – i.e. FSA, so to proactively identify gaps in our compliance program
· Liaise with our potential bank partners and regulators on our compliance program and our licensing efforts
· Assess and provide support to product and operations teams on new regulatory models
· Expertise in customer monitoring and transaction monitoring for KYC, AML and CTF, TM, Sanctions, Systems Policy/Advisory
· Managing the daily operation and monitoring of AML/Compliance program
· Evolve current local compliance programs’ process, reporting to suit the Japanese market
· Transaction reporting e.g filing annual compliance reports, suspicious transaction reports, and other as required by regulatory bodies
· Conduct regulatory and licence requirement checks on new products
· Regular reporting on key compliance metrics to senior management in Airwallex
Skills & Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree in Law, Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics or related field Comprehensive knowledge of the Japanese regulatory environment (e.g. AML/CFT, FATF), including regulations, and other federal regulations
· Experience developing policies and implementing procedures that balance compliance and risk versus innovation
· At least 7 years of relevant experience within financial services, financial institutions or fintech businesses
· Ability to communicate with native Japanese and English speakers
· Good knowledge of regulations such as “Payment Services Act”, Forex Act, Crime Act. (i.e. 資金決済法、外為法、国調法、犯収法)
· Strong relationship builder across all teams in the business, and with our regulators and partners
· Experience and established relationships in any of the following industries: Banking, Online Payments, Trading, Markets, or Exchanges