Founding Senior Engineer
San Mateo, CA /
How do you know if a small code change can take down your site? At Akita, we're building tools to help you answer that question.
Akita watches calls to web APIs in order to build structured models of API behavior. Akita uses these models to help you catch breaking changes on every pull request, discover how real API traffic compares to expectations, and give you up-to-date specs for your services. You can install the Akita agent in minutes, with no code changes or proxies necessary.
We believed that these structured models of API behavior will be the future of observability—and that shifting observability left is the future of software analysis. Read more about what we’re building on our blog. Read more about our approach to developer experience in this blog post.
👷🏻♀️ Who works at Akita Software?
Akita Software was founded by Jean Yang, previously a CMU professor with over ten years of experience in programming systems research and over two years of experience with Taylor Swift memes on Twitter (recently branching into car memes). Akita is backed by two of the top VC firms, as well as a major NBA player and some other incredible angel investors. 🏀😇
The second half of 2020, we pivoted from building an enterprise security tool to building a developer-first API tool (using the same underlying technology). (See our blog post about the pivot here.) We've been getting exciting traction and are rebuilding our founding team around this new direction. (To get an idea of who you'd be working with, meet Cole!)
⚡️ What will you do at Akita?
- Solve hard problems. A lot of what we do at Akita involves solving challenging technical problems to improve the developer experience of our product. For instance, how do we watch traffic to APIs across network calls and test frameworks in as blackbox and noninvasive of a way as possible? How do we analyze the traffic to build semantic models that are as precise as possible, without overfitting? And all of this in service of making it easier to program with APIs and service.
- Write a lot of code. The fun part about this stage of the company is you can move fast. Last fall, one of our engineers overhauled most of our frontend in two weeks.
- Work directly with users to improve the product. At this stage of the company, we're very much figuring out how exactly the product should look to be as helpful as possible to developers. We want the entire team to be involved with our user Slack, seeing where people are getting tripped up and what requests they're making. We believe this will be crucial to making our product as good as possible.
- Build the observability tool of the future! We're trying to make modern programming in a real but completely new way. There are a lot of lessons to learn and a lot of innovations to make along the way. You'll be shaping not just the future of Akita, but potentially the future of cloud observability.
🚀 About you
- You're a hacker. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience. You have substantial experience programming large, complex systems. There are three areas of expertise we're particularly interested in: networks, compilers/programming languages, or distributed systems.
- This is not your first rodeo. You have 3+ years of experience shipping backend code that other people use. You've led or played a major role in at least one software project of significant technical depth. BONUS: you've dealt with enough APIs and services to know where some bodies are buried.
- You’re scrappy. You know what it takes to ship high-quality production software, but you’re also happy building prototypes and doing what it takes to get the job done. Ideally, you'll have worked on a small, fast-moving team and scaled with it (maybe to the point of having too many services/APIs).
- You’re versatile. You've gone deep , but you're flexible across the stack and solving a variety of problems.
🛠 Tech stack
- Python (increasingly typed)
- React and TypeScript
- Docker; Kubernetes
- AWS; Terraform
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Generous health and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Open to remote
At Akita, we believe we're building the future of cloud observability. If you want to solve hard problems with major impact, we'd love to hear from you.
Akita is an equal-opportunity employer.
Follow us on Twitter here.