Senior Backend Engineer
San Mateo, CA /
We are looking for backend engineers to build innovative technologies to power delightful developer experiences. Read more about our approach to developer experience in this blog post.
🐕 What is Akita?
How do you know if a small code change can take down your site? Which code change introduced the cascading failure you're now seeing in production?
Today, these questions are hard to answer because there's a tooling gap between source code and production behavior. At Akita, we're building tools to close this gap.
Akita is backed by two of the top VC firms, as well as a major NBA player and some other incredible angel investors. 🏀😇
👷🏻♀️ Who works at Akita?
We're a deeply technical team passionate about making it easer for developers to build what you intended to build. Read more about us here.
⚡️ What will you do at Akita?
- Solve hard problems. A lot of what we do at Akita involves solving challenging technical problems to improve the developer experience of our product. For instance, how do we watch traffic to APIs across network calls and test frameworks in as blackbox and noninvasive of a way as possible? How do we analyze the traffic to build semantic models that are as precise as possible, without overfitting? And all of this in service of making it easier to program with APIs and services.
- Write a lot of code. The fun part about this stage of the company is you can move fast. Last fall, one of our engineers overhauled most of our frontend in two weeks. We ship features every week.
- Work directly with users to improve the product. At this stage of the company, we're figuring out how to make our new approach as helpful as possible to developers. Everyone on our team is involved with our user Slack, seeing where people are getting tripped up and what requests they're making. We expect everyone to have responded to user questions and user feature requests by the end of their first couple of months at Akita.
- Build the observability tool of the future! We're trying to make modern programming in a real but completely new way. There are a lot of lessons to learn and a lot of innovations to make along the way. You'll be shaping not just the future of Akita, but potentially the future of cloud observability.
🚀 About you
- You're a hacker. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience. You have substantial experience programming large, complex systems. There are three areas of expertise we're particularly interested in: networks, compilers/programming languages, or distributed systems.
- This is not your first rodeo. You have 3+ years of experience shipping backend code that other people use. You've led or played a major role in at least one software project of significant technical depth. BONUS: you've dealt with enough APIs and services to know where some bodies are buried.
- You’re scrappy. You know what it takes to ship high-quality production software, but you’re also happy building prototypes and doing what it takes to get the job done. Ideally, you'll have worked on a small, fast-moving team and scaled with it (maybe to the point of having too many services/APIs).
- You’re versatile. You've gone deep , but you're flexible across the stack and solving a variety of problems.
🛠 Tech stack
- Python (increasingly typed)
- React and TypeScript
- Docker; Kubernetes
- AWS; Terraform
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Generous health and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Open to remote
At Akita, we believe we're building the future of cloud observability. If you want to solve hard problems with a small, fast-moving team, we'd love to hear from you.
Akita is an equal-opportunity employer.