Deputy Voter Protection Director
Birmingham, Alabama /
The Alabama Democratic Party (ADP) is seeking a Deputy Voter Protection Director to work directly under the Voter Protect Director to help ensure that elections are free and fair and equitable. The Deputy Voter Protection Director will be responsible for disseminating high-quality voting information to the public and campaign teams; recruiting and deploying voter protection volunteers; triaging voting-related problems through Election Day; and serving as a resource for legal, legislative and strategic action voter disenfranchisement.
- Develop, produce, and disseminate complete, accessible, and accurate voting information.
- Assist in recruiting, training, managing, and serving as a resource for hundreds of volunteer lawyer poll observers, hotline staffers, boiler room personnel, county liaisons, and other volunteers during Early Vote and Election Day.
- Advocate for changes to voting regulations and policies to enfranchise more voters.
- Support other departments of ADP by fielding questions, creating training materials, interfacing with outside counsel, leveraging relationships with elections officials, etc.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive voter protection plan to identify and triage problems with early and in-person voting.
- Select appropriate legal or non-legal tactics to resolve voting problems.
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse group of volunteers.
- Excellent research, written, and oral communication skills; comfort with public presentations.
- Impeccable strategic judgment and comfort deploying both legal and non-legal tools; appetite for leveraging in-house communications, digital, data, field, and operations expertise.
- Experience with or willingness to learn to manage large groups.
- Ability to advance multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment on tight deadlines and to remain calm under pressure.
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Suite
- A strong commitment to advancing the Democratic agenda, strengthening the Democratic Party, and winning elections for Democrats.
- Prior political organizing or campaign experience, particularly experience in voter protection or field operations.
- Local knowledge, including familiarity with Southern/Alabama politics and stakeholders.
- VAN proficiency.
This position will begin remotely, with the expectation to relocate to Alabama COVID-19 permits. Compensation is $5-6,000 per month with health benefits at no cost to the employee. This is a full-time, exempt position that requires long and non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends.
The Alabama Democratic Party is committed to hiring an inclusive, diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity, or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.