Birmingham, Alabama /
The Alabama Democratic Party is seeking a Communications Director to manage all aspects of the party’s internal and external communications during the 2020 election cycle. The Communications Director will report to the Coordinated Campaign leadership team. The ideal candidate will have a finely-tuned sense of compelling storytelling, be comfortable working independently, have experience liaising with the press, have a demonstrated commitment to people-powered progressive social change.
- Develop communication strategies to further the Alabama Democratic Party’s campaign goals and overall narrative strategy, continually expand our audience, recruit new members, and provide avenues for current members to become more active.
- Deepen awareness of ADP among the media in line with the communication strategy
- Manage, maintain, and build local, national, and issue-based press lists
- Cultivate and hold relationships with individual journalists, producers, and bookers
- Develop press kits for ADP campaigns
- Draft and pitch op-eds to opinion editors at local and national publications
- Develop and pitch story concepts to reporters
- Conduct scenario-planning with ADP staff around potential rapid response scenarios
- Draft and send press releases, media advisories, and statements on behalf of ADP leadership
- Field and prioritize press inquiries
- Organize press conferences and act as a media liaison at public events
- Develop op-ed and Letter to the Editor campaign concepts and draft templates
- Monitor press mentions and share clips with ADP staff and volunteers
- Oversee digital content by editing and approving emails, ads, petitions, and other content to engage grassroots supporters and small-dollar donors
- Develop partnerships with allied organizations and other strategies to enable list growth
- Occasionally shoot, curate, and organize photo and video content
- Design and create multimedia content including graphics and memes, and perform basic video editing such as adding captions and cutting clips
- Cultivate and hold relationships with communications and social media staff at allied organizations and campaigns
- Create and implement a content calendar for ADP social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Update the ADP website as needed
- Author, implement, and enforce staff social social media policy
- 2+ years of communications experience on an electoral or issue-based campaign
- Seasoned news judgement, with a solid understanding of the media ecosystem and compelling media narratives
- Quick and persuasive writing and storytelling skills, with the ability to translate complex issues into everyday language and memorable sound bites
- Strong project management, time management, and planning skills with a demonstrated ability to take initiative and drive projects forward independently
- A strategic mindset that identifies short-term and long-term opportunities and an ability to balance conducting rapid-response with pursuing long-term objectives simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to operate well under pressure, tight deadlines, and while working remotely
- Basic graphic design and video editing skills (the ability to produce simple graphics, or add captions to a cell phone video.
- Fluency with Google Suite
- Willingness to work long and non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, laptop, and cell phone
- Desire to relocate to and elect Democrats up and down the ticket in Alabama
This position will begin remotely, with the expectation to relocate to Alabama COVID-19 permits. Compensation is $6-7,000 per month with health benefits at no cost to the employee. This is a full-time, exempt position that requires long and non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends.
The Alabama Democratic Party is committed to hiring an inclusive, diverse staff. We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity, or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.