Software Engineer - Spain (Senior, Staff, Principal)
Madrid, Barcelona /
Permanent Employment Contract
⭐️ Who we are ⭐️
Hello there, we’re Alan.
Wait… what is Alan?
Alan exists to reimagine the health system by creating a better experience centered on the user. Alan is a subscription to better living, where health is a part of the way you want to live, not a restriction on your way of living. Alan is your friend in health and your partner in the system.
We started by creating the first digital health insurance company in Europe! Specifically, we’re the first new insurance in France since… 1986! And we’ve raised more than €125m in less than four years from leading investors such as Index Ventures, Temasek and DST Global Partners.
We are expanding internationally in 2020 and we will be live in Spain this year! We are looking for Software Engineers to take our Spanish product to the next level and help us define our global health platform.
⭐️ The Engineering team ⭐️
In our engineering team, we build the infrastructure, interfaces, and applications to provide first-class service to our members, health professionals, and even ourselves!
Being an engineer at Alan means joining a team of talented, committed and passionate engineers, with a lot of product interaction.
We move fast, with a lot of ownership, and are proud to tackle big problems!
Our process is very simple: those who make product decisions are the same ones who build them.
Our stack is Python/Flask, React/Redux, React Native, PostgreSQL.
Want to know more? Read those articles if you want to:
- Learn more about our engineering challenges and projects for the coming months: https://medium.com/alan/engineering-challenges-at-alan-circa-2020-1acefb98127c
- Discover how life as an Engineer at Alan looks like, and how our Engineering team is organised: https://blog.alan.com/tech-et-produit/engineering-organisation-at-alan
- Understand the way we tackled a recent project: https://medium.com/alan/how-we-enabled-our-sales-to-build-and-price-custom-coverages-in-a-few-minutes-532a6d806d02
⭐️ Is it you we’re looking for? ⭐️
For the Spanish market, we are looking for engineers with seniority from Senior to Principal (starting at level D on our career path). You’ll be able to tackle complex & high-impact projects. If you are interested in it, you’ll have the opportunity to mentor other engineers & lead crews (more details in this article).
You would be a good fit at Alan if most of this sounds like you:
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- Passionate about building products.
- Self-starting and entrepreneurial.
- Humble and still willing to grow (no matter your seniority!).
- Collaborative, enthusiastic about teamwork, learning, and teaching.
- Fluent in Spanish & English (no need to speak French!).
But above all, we are looking for high potential and curiosity: make sure to show us this when you apply! Everything else is a bonus.
Underrepresented folks: science shows that you are less likely to apply if you feel that you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites. If this description matches where you are now or what you'd like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply.
We strive to make our culture as inclusive as possible, and believe that both the company and its culture are strongest when composed of diverse experiences and backgrounds. As a few examples of how we put this value into action:
- We have an open salary & equity policy combined with a transparent career path: we base our people decisions on objective criteria.
- We have flexible working hours and leave policy.
- We trust people to work remotely (we are a “work from anywhere” company).
- We extended the length of parental leave and value this time as professional experience.
- We respect our coworkers gender identity and use their names, pronouns and agreements no matter their legal status.
- We make tough decisions if we see discriminatory remarks.
⭐️ The Alan Method ⭐️
At Alan, we have a set of cultural values that translate into our approach to work:
- We solve big problems, quickly, with focus.
- We tell and share everything.
- We grow as individuals while we are developing the company.
Alaners are provided a stimulating environment for them to focus on the essential: their work. Therefore, we offer:
- Competitive compensation packages, along with meaningful equity.
- Offices in Madrid, Barcelona & Paris.
- Relocation packages for our international candidates.
- A great healthcare program (yes, Alan 🙂).
- Flexible and remote-friendly work environment (for now in France, Spain & Belgium for an employment contract - we'll hire people in other European countries as freelance contractors with the goal of moving them into full-time employees in the future).
- The necessary equipment for you to do your best work (Noise Cancelling Headphones, a Macbook Pro, secondary screen, etc.). You can have them at home, in case you are mostly working remotely.
- And a lot more great stuff (feel free to ask)!