Privacy & Product Legal Counsel
Anywhere in France, Belgium, Spain /
Company Administration – Legal /
Permanent Employment Contract
🐼 Who we are
Alan is your friend in health.
Alan's long-term goal is to make personal, proactive and holistic health part of people’s daily life, striving to be the world’s most member-centric healthcare company. Our employees join Alan because they truly believe in this mission.
As of today, Alan operates in 3 countries (🇫🇷, 🇧🇪, 🇪🇸) and covers more than 400,000 members, representing over €275m+ of annualized revenue. We raised a further €183m in a series E funding round in 2022 bringing the company’s total valuation to €2.7bn. The team is 500+ people and growing.
🤘 How we do it ?
People joining Alan are always surprised and delighted by our innovative working method. We have a set of cultural values that guide our approach to work, such as:
- Members first. We put our members first, our team second, our shareholders third.
- Radical Transparency. We make all choices in writing and adopt a direct and honest style of communication.
- Personal & Team Growth. We are self-improving whilst helping others grow. We’re no ego-doers and we all edit the company.
- Distributed Ownership. We trust our colleagues to make the right choices. We are not afraid to fail fast individually to learn collectively in the long run.
- Fearless ambition. We shoot for the moon and work backwards. We focus on solving complex problems with simple principles far from ready made ideas.
Alan x Privacy & Product
The Privacy & Product legal function is key to Alan’s current development phase: as an all-in-one health partner for our members, we handle some of their most sensitive data, and we aim to build some of the most useful, personalised, proactive and holistic features for them to manage their health on a daily basis.
Beyond Alan, there is a unique opportunity to truly define what Privacy means in healthcare.
We have an international team of incredibly driven, focused and fun professionals working on these topics, and we’re looking for the next missionary to join them.
As Privacy & Product Legal Counsel:
You will contribute to Alan’s position on opportunities and risks related to Alan’s new features, processes and services, as early as the strategy and roadmapping stage, in tight collaboration with Alan’s Product, Design and Engineering communities. We launch tens of features or completely new services involving regulations we don’t know, or novel uses of health data every couple of months. You will have to prioritize radically and paint the bigger picture behind individual ideas or features. You may also help the team improve our contracts or solve any disputes that arise in relation to our product.
Examples of discussions you’ll be expected to contribute to:
- How can and should we use personal data between Alan services?
- Can we provide a diagnostics tool? How?
- How can we build consistent bricks that are easy to leverage internationally ?
- How can we streamline and reinforce the company’s accountability for product compliance ?
- What’s our legal toolkit when it comes to fighting insurance fraud?
- Will new legal topics come up as we scale our operations?
- How can we anticipate the biggest regulatory changes to come?
- What data can we use to provide a personalised health experience and how?
- What should the team keep in mind when using machine learning technology in our product?
You will collaborate with Public Affairs and our in-house Medical Doctor team to deepen our relationship with national and European authorities & regulatory bodies (e.g. data protection authorities, consumer protection authorities, EU institutions, national health authorities working on streamlining healthcare, think tanks, medical professional boards). You’ll be encouraged to learn about new ways of providing healthcare or practising medicine, and your input will be helpful to navigate piecemeal and outdated regulations on the topic.
You will be a key contributor to Alan’s GDPR compliance program and the owner of its operational implementation (integration of documentation maintenance into our Product processes, creation of guidelines to improve accountability), as well as one of the main points of reference for privacy questions requiring legal expertise. You will work as part of our “DPO team”, currently consisting of François Zannotti, Privacy & Product Legal Counsel, Thomas Quinotour Security Lead, as well as a user care expert and an intern.
You will contribute to building a distributed and transparent Legal function, in line with Alan’s focus on empowering the team through frameworks and resources they can use without needing direct input from legal counsel. We’d also love you to contribute your ideas to improve our legal operations, especially on the contracts and privacy side. Watch Marion Bergeret (General Counsel) talk about how we do Legal at Alan here.
In keeping with Alan’s culture, the team is not hierarchical: We all collaborate, brainstorm and help each other make the best decisions. Work is not delegated at Alan; you would identify the priorities you think are truly A+ and the projects on which you think you can create the most value. You will be able to collaborate with any stakeholder that is relevant to the projects you choose to lead. François and a network of coaches and buddies will support you and set you up for success by helping you adapt quickly to Alan’s culture and work methods.
Hard skills we'll be looking for
- Strong written communication skills and structure, demonstrated through experience leading complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- A very good level of written and spoken English. At Alan, everyone works in English. Fluency in French is a real plus, but not absolutely required
- Ability to simplify and propose clear trade-offs and solutions, as you’ll need to interact with non-lawyers on a daily basis
- A minimum of 2-3 years experience working in Privacy, IT and technology advisory at a top law firm or in-house at a “Big Tech” company, working with product teams, ideally in the health space
- French and/or foreign bar qualification preferred but not required
Soft skills that would make you an excellent fit
- Fun to work with, stimulated by sophisticated interactions
- Openness to feedback and eagerness to learn and grow
- Most excited when having to think very pragmatically about risks, understand business priorities, and keep members’ interests top of mind, as you’ll be working directly with our Product team to build our all-in-one health partner
- A natural contrarian who enjoys the idea of deviating from market practices and finding our own solutions to problems
- English spoken and written
- Good understanding of French preferred
At Alan, we believe that being in good health is a basic need, and it starts with our employees. This is why Alaners are provided with a stimulating environment and perks ensuring they are happy, efficient and spend only high-quality time with co-workers.
Therefore, we offer:
- Fair rewards. Generous equity packages complement your base salary.
- Flexible Office. Amazing office space at our HQ, sponsored co-working hubs or a full-remote experience with home office equipment sponsorship, we want you to live where you’re the happiest.
- All the tools you need. Top of the range equipment: Macbook Pro, keyboard, laptop stand, monitor, and Bose noise-canceling headphones.
- Flexible vacation policy and flexible working hours. organize your time as you wish.
- Delightful healthcare insurance. Extremely comprehensive health insurance - 100% of the contribution covered by Alan for you and your family.
- Transport. Country-specific commuter benefits.
- Learning & Training opportunities. A highly flexible Training policy free books and budget to attend and speak at conferences if the opportunity arises.
- Parental leave. Extended parental leave for all new parents.
Important note: we hire people not roles.
After reading this job description, if you feel like you don’t have all the necessary prerequisites but that it matches where you are now or what you'd like to grow into in your next position, we encourage you to apply!
Not everybody will enter our recruitment process, but all, no matter how underrepresented, should feel free to apply as it can only bring learnings or success.
🔖 Check out our About Alan and Career pages, as well as our Medium, blog and Glassdoor page for more info.