Insurance Legal Counsel
France, Remote possible /
Permanent Employment Contract
Alan was created in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian (CEO) and Charles Gorintin (CTO) to make the healthcare system frictionless, fair and friendly.
Alan began by creating a fully digitalized Health Insurance. Alan is the only new independent insurance company to be licensed by the Bank of France in the last 33 years. Alan also distributes Prévoyance products.
Since its launch, Alan has grown very rapidly: 140,000 members today for an annual turnover of close to 100 million euros. This growth has been accompanied by the raising of more than €125 million in four years, from major funds such as Temasek, Index Ventures (Dropbox, Bird, Revolut...) or DST Global (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp...).
At the same time, the team is also experiencing exponential growth and the offices on the banks of the Saint Martin canal are home to a total of over 250 Alaners. We also have a work from anywhere policy (limited to European time zones for now).
Alan is part of the Next40 and is shifting to becoming a Personal Health Partner- on top of being the best Health Insurance there is. Alan offers a unique working environment, marked by a highly differentiated corporate culture (radical transparency, distributed ownership, A+ problems mindset, no meetings policy...) and supported by employees from all horizons (Europe, Silicon Valley, Canada...).
- As Insurance Legal Counsel, your mission will be to define Alan’s position on opportunities and risks when developing new products, processes and services or exploring new business opportunities with Product, Operations, Insurance, Business and Sales specialists. You will also build and maintain the company’s compliance efforts.
- The rules that apply to our prospects and customers including the collective bargaining agreements that apply to companies and their obligations in terms of subscribing and administering an insurance contract for their employees or as non-salaried workers (TNS)
- The rules that apply to the management and distribution of insurance contracts, as well as European passporting and corporate insurance rules
- More generally, you will help the team navigate and leverage all existing rules and explore new approaches
You will be involved in a large range of topics requiring you to have or build expertise, including on:
Your input will be needed on a variety of legal issues, ranging from product design, digital insurance products, mediation claims resolution or fraud detection, as well as negotiations with our insurance partners or discussions with regulatory authorities. You’ll also be encouraged to develop your knowledge in the rules around the provision of digital health services.
You’ll contribute to building a distributed and transparent Legal function, in line with Alan’s focus on empowering the team through frameworks and resources they can use without needing direct input from legal counsel. Watch our Legal Counsel Marion Bergeret talk about how we do Legal at Alan here.
Hard skills and qualifications we’ll be looking for
- Strong written communication skills
- Specialist legal knowledge in health and Prévoyance insurance / social protection, acquired through a specialised degree such as a Masters in health, labor, insurance, and/or social protection law or several years professional experience in a relevant field
- Professional experience working as specialised legal counsel at a life insurer, an insurance intermediary or broker, at a large company as a social protection expert, or at a group, association or public organisation within the public social protection system. Law firm experience would also be highly valued
- Interest in legal operations and dedication to making Legal work approachable, transparent and distributed
- Product & business sense & pragmatism
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to simplify and propose clear trade-offs and solutions, as you’ll need to interact with non-lawyers on a daily basis
- You are curious and a creative thinker, you enjoy solving problems and you want to explore beyond the things that have been done in the legal world before
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a must. At Alan, everyone works in English
- Fluency in French is also required, given the focus on French regulations