Privacy & Product Legal Counsel
France, Remote possible /
Permanent Employment Contract
⭐️Who we are ⭐️
Hello there, we’re Alan.
But… what is Alan???
Alan is the healthcare super-app offering personalised information, proactive care, care delivery, payment and post-care. Alan members access a delightful health insurance coverage bundled with innovative healthcare services.
Founded in 2016 by Jean-Charles Samuelian and Charles Gorintin, Alan became the first independent health insurance company in France since 1986 to receive a license.
Alan distributes its own health insurance plans to companies of all sizes as well as to independent professionals.
By providing its members with a delightful health experience and beautifully designed tools, Alan's long-term goal is to deliver personalised and delightful healthcare to hundreds of millions of Europeans, and beyond.
As of today, Alan covers more than 155,000 members, representing over €100m of annualised revenue. We recently raised a further €185m in a series D funding round bringing the company’s total valuation to €1.4bn. The team is 350 people and growing We recently landed in Spain 🇪🇸 and Belgium 🇧🇪, and guess what: the best is yet to come!
Alan is currently expanding its product and services beyond insurance services, to become the number one health partner for its members. This has fascinating implications which the Product & Privacy Legal Counsel will play a fundamental part in navigating in the coming months.
We are looking for an experienced and nimble Privacy & Product Legal Counsel to focus on the use of our members’ personal data, whether in the context of our existing services, which we are always seeking to optimize, or in the development of new product features.
As Product & Privacy Legal Counsel
- You will feed the company’s strategic and long term thinking about Privacy & Digital Health Services with your expertise. You will lead the definition and adoption of principles and frameworks to guide the company’s day-to-day decisions.
- You will define Alan’s position on opportunities and risks related to how personal data are processed in Alan’s new products, processes and services, as early as the roadmapping stage, in tight collaboration with Alan’s Product, Design and Engineering communities.
- You will collaborate with Public Affairs and our in-house Medical Doctor team to deepen our relationship with national and European authorities & regulatory bodies (e.g. data protection authorities, national health authorities, medical professional boards). You'll handle litigation or audits if needed.
- As part of the DPO team, you will be the project manager and owner for Alan’s GDPR compliance, as well as the main point of reference on all ad hoc privacy questions related e.g. to data security breaches, new personal data processors, challenges about privacy coming from our members, our customer companies, or competent authorities. You will work closely with the current DPO, as well as with a data security expert and a member support expert.
- You’ll be encouraged to learn about new ways of practicing medicine digitally, and your input will be helpful to explore uncharted territories on the topic.
- You will contribute to building a distributed and transparent Legal function, in line with Alan’s focus on empowering the team through frameworks and resources they can use without needing direct input from legal counsel. Watch our Legal Counsel Marion Bergeret talk about how we do Legal at Alan here.
A few things specific to Alan worth keeping in mind
- Alaners want to do things right, and our members’ privacy is one of the company’s top priorities. You’ll have the resources to be ambitious.
- We hire people, not roles. Your potential scope is infinite: we trust you to focus on the area where you can have the most impact.
- We don’t have a hierarchical structure, nor do we ‘delegate’ or ‘instruct’ team members to work. You’re in charge of defining what topics you should prioritize.
Hard skills and qualifications we’ll be looking for
- Strong written communication skills and structure
- A good level of written and spoken English. At Alan, everyone works in English.
- Fluency in French is a plus, but not absolutely required
- An understanding for, and interest in, the far-reaching regulatory, ethical, political, and business implications of the use of personal data in a health product
- Specialist legal knowledge in personal data protection, acquired through a specialised degree such as Masters in IT, digital or cyber law or privacy, or several years professional experience in a relevant field
- Experience navigating Privacy regulations, including across European jurisdictions, and applying them to real-life situations with business implications
- Experience working with Product teams and supporting product development and experimentation from a legal standpoint, including in never-before-explored directions, in a personal-data-intensive field
- Experience or strong interest in advising on digital health services
- Interest in legal operations and dedication to making Legal work approachable, transparent and distributed
Soft skills we think would make you a great fit
- Most importantly, you are a curious and creative thinker, you enjoy solving problems and challenging the status quo, and you want to explore beyond the things that have been done in the legal world before.
- Strong product & business sense, pragmatism, and an affinity or curiosity for technology, coding, IT systems, data security
- The ability to simplify and propose clear trade-offs and solutions, as you’ll need to interact with non-lawyers on a daily basis
- Attention to detail, speed of execution and bias for action