Senior Software Engineer
Engineering – Engineering - India /
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
What does the Curate Team do?
The Curate team is tasked with empowering users to catalog and curate high quality documents and metadata from underlying big data level stores. This data is leveraged within the Alation product and across the data ecosystem that customers create, and the catalog is a key part of the Alation platform that delivers that scale and capabilities. As a core product engineering team, we currently design and implement the product’s core metadata management and collaboration technology and are looking for someone who has Full Stack experience, preferably in React, Redux and Python technologies. The candidate will contribute to all parts of the stack from Front-end to Back-end, and contribute to many aspects of engineering our software for the next level of scale.
As part of Team Curate you will…
- Simplify the complexity of our Catalog and Curation architecture, evolving it for the next level of scale, including performance, quality of service and operational efficiency
- Design both internal and customer-facing APIs that are fast and flexible
- Improve our Catalog data management algorithms for efficiency and robustness
- Make smart scoping and priority decisions to ship fast, impactful code
- Work with our amazing product and design team to build a core product experience that enables our users to create, collaborate and govern highly curated data from underlying big data in a meaningful way
- Collaborate with our other skilled and kind engineers to make this all happen
You may be a perfect fit if you...
- Have a CS degree and 6+ years of experience working as a software engineer
- Have 3+ years of experience designing, developing, and shipping software products and services with a distributed backend
- Have a good understanding of architectural conventions such as RESTful API design, concepts of algorithmic complexity
- Like working on complex Full-Stack architectures and have worked with React and Redux and Python - Django is a plus!
- Worked with Relational Databases - Postgres is a plus!
- Understand how to translate business requirements and “user needs” into code
- Are adaptable and prepared for a fast-paced, evolving, growing, and dynamic environment
- Demonstrate clear leadership and communication skills
- Are collaborative and measure your success through impact
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!