Backend Software Engineer
Engineering – Engineering - Poland /
Alation continues to hire for roles at various locations with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19 crisis.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data, so they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer, PepsiCo, and Munich Re empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions and products (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer, or a wind farm offering a guaranteed ROI with Munich Re). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $217M in funding - valued at $1.2 billion and 300+ customers with household names, Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Our exceptional Glassdoor ratings reflect a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
We are looking for a Backend Software Engineer who is ready to participate in a great adventure and join our brand new engineering team in Wroclaw! You will work with the best engineers all around the world, share your best practices and build unique solutions used by more than 250 customers around different locations including Poland.
You can forget about old and smelly code! On this team you will work on integrating our product with other platforms like Tableau, Slack, GMail and others.
We want you to grow with us by adding new features to existing products and creating new projects from scratch.
What you'll do:
- Design and build a horizontally scalable distributed system which is multi-tenant
- Implement new features to existing product
- Design both internal and customer-facing APIs that are fast and flexible
- Collaborate with our Product Design and QA team to provide the highest quality and user experience
- Make smart scoping and priority decisions to ship fast, impactful code
- Work directly with users to integrate feedback into our designs and priorities
- Focus on performance, code quality, reliability and reusability of created components
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) with 2+ years experience of working as a software engineer using Java8+ and/or Python
- 2+ years of experience designing, developing and shipping products and services with a distributed backend
- Science fundamentals – data structures, algorithms and OO design with an eye toward avoiding and reducing technical debt
- Expertise in SQL & working experience with any Relational Databases (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Effective communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively on shared projects with other developers, testers and designers
- Ability to put the customer first and have quality in mind
- Understanding of how to translate business requirements and “user needs” into code
- Experience with TDD and agile development practices
- Adaptable approach and prepared for a fast-paced, evolving, growing, and dynamic environment
Nice to have:
- Experience with Elasticsearch and Postgres
- Experience building high volume and highly scalable microservices
- Good command of architectural conventions such as RESTful API design, concepts of algorithmic complexity, and messaging frameworks (such as Kafka)
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!