Senior Product Designer
Product – Product - India /
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to help improve the way companies connect their data to our platform. Upgrading this experience will accelerate our customers’ time to value, reduce setup and maintenance costs, and set the tone for their overall experience with Alation. The greatest design challenge is in making the complex simple - and that’s exactly the challenge we want you to tackle.
You’re a great fit for this role if you are:
- Curious and resourceful. You don’t wait for instructions, but are motivated by the problem and can drive a project through various stages of clarity to reach a solution.
- Motivated by the why. You know that technically delivering a piece of functionality is not enough, but that it must be desirable, viable, and feasible.
- Independent, but collaborative. You can operate with minimal oversight, but actively seek feedback from peers and stakeholders and can thoughtfully critique the work of others.
- Analytical and creative. You dig deep into the technology to understand and challenge constraints.
- Bold and scientific. You can accept risk when needed to move a project forward and you see it as an opportunity to test your hypothesis. You use outcomes to determine next steps.
- Self aware and growth-minded. You know that you will not always have the right answers or make the right decisions, but see these occasions as opportunities to reflect and grow.
Please include a portfolio with your application that showcases:
- 2-3 projects representative of your range and expertise
- Your thought process around constraints, tradeoffs, risks, etc.
- Reflections on what you learned & might do differently in the future
What you'll do:
- Become the expert in customer and user needs around the setup and maintenance of Alation by conducting competitive and primary research.
- Follow an iterative design process, from initial concept to final polished design, based on user feedback, usability testing results, technical capabilities, and evolving project requirements, maintaining a flexible and adaptive approach.
- Partner with user researchers to understand the customer problems, and validate your designs through user testing and qualitative research.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously without losing sight of the larger user experience.
- Effectively collaborate, communicate and explain design rationale to business and technical partners.
- Give and receive critique in design reviews.
You should have:
- 5-7 years of experience working as a product designer on complex consumer or enterprise applications, preferably workflow or process oriented.
- Experience performing or participating in research at both the exploration and validation stages of a project.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design principles and practices, and the ability to advocate for the user's perspective throughout the design process.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to translate complex concepts into clear and visually compelling design solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and visual, to effectively articulate design rationale and present design concepts to stakeholders.
- Up-to-date knowledge of design trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in the field.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!