Director of Engineering, Governance
Engineering – Engineering - India /
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
As a leader of the team, here is what you’ll be doing:
- Drive the short- and long-term direction of our Governance teams
- Collaborate on roadmaps and requirements with Product Managers and members of the Engineering team to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into aligned priorities with actionable plans for your team. Focus on the customer and business outcomes
- Work with members of the team to update our engineering roadmap and execute upon those initiatives
- Work with the team to deliver platform technologies that operate and compute seamlessly, and that clearly operate with quality and scalability to match Alation’s product experience
- Leverage your cloud service experience in AWS RDS for Postgres, Kafka, NoSQL, Redis, and more for platform implementation
- Ensure Alation's product vision is realized through excellence in execution
- Guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver resilient, highly-available services
- Build plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges for teams
- Hire high-potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Help team members grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, performing evaluations, and collaborating with employees on their objectives. Most of all, ensure the team is having fun with their work
We want to talk to you if...
- You have a minimum of 3 years at the Director level, managing a team of 15 or more
- You have in-depth experience in building, working, and scaling enterprise products
- You have experience in the Data, Data related, and/or Data Workflow Space
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence
- You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers. You focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and pride in the delivery
- You have extensive experience with distributed design and API-first development
- You have experience building complex technical products
- You set high standards and have demonstrated the ability to build and lead a high-performance team
- You are able to think about the big picture while also not minding being hands-on if needed
- You also enjoy building relationships with others in a highly visible, cross-functional, and cross-team role
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!