Software Engineer (Backend)
Engineering – Engineering - Poland /
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
What does the Anywhere Team do?
The Anywhere Team works on integrating Alation Data Catalog with external applications like Slack, MSTeams, Chrome, etc. We empower customers to access trusted data from anywhere, not only directly from the main Alation product. We deliver comprehensive solutions created from scratch by the team. This includes designing architecture and providing the best quality implementation with the highest standards of security and usage metrics. We closely cooperate with the Product Team and customers to deliver a first-class experience.
What you'll do:
- Research and design solutions fitting best customer needs
- Work closely with other team members
- Design internal and customer-facing APIs that are fast, flexible and reliable
- Collaborate with our product design team to provide the highest quality user experience
- Make smart scoping and priority decisions to ship fast, impactful code
- Work directly with users to integrate feedback into our designs and priorities
- Work on the code spanning frontend and backend systems
- Build and maintain a secure, scalable, high-performance, and fault-tolerant distributed systems
You should have:
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience designing, developing, and shipping software products and services.
- Proficiency in Python or Java
- Desire to dive into details of complex code that runs at scale via on-prem delivery model
- Ability to translate business requirements and “user needs” into code – experience owning projects or features from planning to release is a plus
- Readiness for adaptable and fast-paced, evolving, growing, and dynamic environment
- Understanding of object-orientation and experience with OOP in Python or Java
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!