Technical Product Manager (TPM) - Actuator Hardware
Remote / Austin, TX / Denver, CO /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
As the Technical Product Manager (TPM) for actuator hardware, you will be solely responsible for the core momentum-exchange technology that drives the Albedo’s ultra-high resolution imaging satellite constellation. Our unprecedented mission calls for unprecedented momentum control, and this TPM role brings broad technical oversight to our Supplier’s hardware production program spanning assembly, test, verification, and delivery. You will work alongside multiple Suppliers and Albedo’s CTO/subcontracts management, serving as negotiator and decision authority on actuator hardware issues concerning risk, scope, program execution, and schedule. With seamless system integration as your overarching goal, your responsibilities and ownership would include:
About You/What You’ll Do:
- Gaining intimate knowledge of our Supplier’s actuator design and production program spanning electrical, mechanical, thermal, control system, software, firmware, and product assurance subject matter areas
- Ownership/development of actuator hardware specification and statement of work documents
- Coordination of Supplier’s management and technical teams
- Driving the master schedule; long-term planning to furnish the full Albedo constellation
- Serving as an engaged customer in milestone and failure reviews; providing official approval and adjudication of contractor deliverable items to drive the hardware requirements verification and acceptance processes
- Risk management - driving all technical issues that may arise during the production of this complex hardware to resolution
- Leading actuator hardware/software integration & test campaigns at the bus and space vehicle level
Required Skills and Experience:
- Comprehensive experience with reaction wheels, control moment gyroscopes, precision gimbals, or other complex electromechanical actuators for space applications
- Knowledge of space hardware development, AI&T, qualification, and product assurance processes including experience with failure review
- Creative problem solving skills backed by a deep understanding of risk mitigation tradeoffs, but not bounded by traditional aerospace methodology
- Organized, disciplined, self starter
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills - ability to convey the “big picture”
While nearly all coordination and communication with our Supplier is performed remotely, this TPM role may include very limited pre-coordinated onsite support.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- End-to-end knowledge of actuator use cases, design integration process, performance and power budgets
- Working background in dynamics and controls
- Mechanical and structural design engineering, including mass acceleration curve (MAC) method for sizing and analyzing coupled loads
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com