Lead Vehicle Test-Beds Engineer
Denver, CO /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
As Albedo's Lead Vehicle Test-Beds Engineer, you will build emulation and simulation systems for proving our VLEO, high-resolution imager. In other words, you will make the stuff that makes stuff work.
Ideal Skills and Experience
- A passion for fast-paced, hands-on hardware development
- Background in controls, electrical, computer software, robotics, avionics, or mechatronics engineering with a strong electrical skill set
- Ability to build and lead a small team
- Deep understanding of embedded, real-time control systems, including emulation and simulation principles and practices
- Experience working with engineers across all space vehicle disciplines: flight software, logic design, electrical & power, thermal, mechanical, GN&C, communications, payload, ground, etc
- Ability to build complex electronics equipment used in multiple vehicle test environments; ability to integrate electrical support equipment with flight hardware to perform end-to-end testing, debug, and safe-to-mate test procedures
- Experience with trades and procurement of off-the-shelf hardware; ability to work directly with suppliers and maintain external relationships
- Ability to plan projects, maintain schedule and cost
- Ability to create, maintain or interpret engineering schematics, interface control documents, and pinout diagrams
- Strong safety mentality, experience planning and conducting safety-critical operations
- Exposure to the launch vehicle, aircraft, or spacecraft test and verification activities
- Experience designing and/or operating vehicle test hardware or RF communications systems
- Experience using multi-meters, signal generators, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, and power equipment
- Experience or coursework in circuit design and circuit analysis is a plus
- Experience with Zuken, PSPICE, LTSPICE, MATLAB, MATHCAD, LabVIEW, TestStand, or similar products is desirable
What We Believe Are Important Traits For This Role
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively pass on and share your knowledge with others
- Flexibility: We are a small team doing a lot of things - a flexible and positive mindset is instrumental for success!
- A humble and open mind: willingness to accept feedback and consistently improve upon yourself and the product you will be responsible for
- A high degree of emotional intelligence: the ability to collaborate closely with coworkers in a respectful and empathetic manner
- Belief in the value of diversity: active appreciation of each person’s unique perspective and the realization that diversity produces better outcomes
- Alignment and willingness to champion Albedo's Core Values
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-first, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
$180,000 - $180,000 a year
The typical range we will target for this role will be within the listed salary range, but the final compensation package will be commensurate with the candidate's experience with individual pay determined by several factors including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, education, and training. Salary ranges are determined in good faith by role, level, and location.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com