Space Systems Engineer
Austin, TX / Denver, CO / Remote /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
We’re looking for a systems engineer to join our space team. You will be responsible for the wide breath of systems engineering execution amongst our team of experts.
What You'll Do
- Core member of space team focused on execution, driving to closure, and closing out loose ends in a fast-paced commercial development effort
- Work closely with internal experts and external suppliers and contractors on all aspects of systems engineering throughout development
- Manage specifications and interface control documents for multiple space elements and subsystems, iteratively developing and refining them based upon feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure day-to-day system engineering-related requests and needs of our space hardware suppliers are being satisfied, pulling in experts as needed
- Manage detailed CONOPS and design reference mission development, starting from high-level models and direction
- Perform first-order analyses and engineering review of space system fundamentals like mass and power
- Lead verification closeout and initial response to emerging issues during development and manufacturing, with special emphasis on interface issues
- Serve as an additional subject matter expert in whichever field you have higher familiarity with
Ideal Technical Skills and Experience
- Broad familiarity across the technical aspects of satellite development (mechanical, thermal, electrical, digital)
- Experience in multiple phases of project lifecycles, especially in understanding how early project systems engineering affects the delivery phase
- Familiarity with all aspects of systems engineering (requirements, interfaces, verification, CONOPS, test planning)
- Successful partnering and collaboration with systems engineering teams at multiple external suppliers
- Demonstrated experience integrating inputs from multiple subject matter experts
- Perspective informed by experience where development process rigor can be relaxed in striking a fast-paced commercial development risk posture
- Technical depth in at least one domain of space systems design, with an ability to perform analyses, develop requirements, review design and verification as an expert (such as structures, thermal, comms, power systems)
- B.S. or greater in relevant engineering or physics discipline plus 5 to 10 years of relevant experience
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at email@example.com