Senior Embedded Software Engineer - FPGA/VHDL
Denver, CO /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with HW and SW team members to bring up brand new spacecraft systems that include FPGAs
- Design digital hardware including FPGA development for space-based electronic systems. Assignments include designs which will include SOC architectures utilizing soft-core processors, digital filters, and communication interfaces/protocols.
- Design signal processing pipelines, control logic, data routing fabric, data processing accelerators, and high-speed interfaces like Ethernet
- Develop reusable internal IP cores and design patterns
- Integrate FPGA designs alongside avionics processors and microcontrollers
- Set best practices and design patterns in FPGA RTL for the team
- Design and implement test fixtures including test plans for both chip-level and board-level environments.
- Supervise and guide external engineering resources and vendors
Ideal Skills and Experience
- 4+ years experience as an FPGA engineer in a team environment
- Digital system partitioning and advanced function implementation in FPGAs. Strong design, documentation and implementation of high-speed digital electronics, FPGAs, and embedded processor systems are desired.
- Strong electronic circuit design, electronic systems background, and VHDL/Verilog, System Verilog or OVM/UVM programming experience
- Familiarity with device-level communication buses (e.g. UART/SPI/I2C)
- Experience implementing and debugging high-speed digital communications (Gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, etc)
- Understanding of Printed Circuit Boards (PCB) signal and power integrity
- Scripting to automate building and testing FPGA designs
- Understanding of and experience with embedded / real-time operating systems such as Linux, VxWorks, or Integrity.
- Familiarity with ASIC tools, libraries, design flow and fabrication preferred.
What We Believe Are Important Traits For This Role
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively pass on and share your knowledge with others
- Flexibility: We are a small-team doing a lot of things - a flexible and positive mindset is instrumental for success!
- A humble and open mind: willingness to accept feedback and consistently improve upon yourself and the product you will be responsible for
- A high-degree of emotional intelligence: the ability to collaborate closely with coworkers in a respectful and empathetic manner
- Belief in the value of diversity: active appreciation of each person’s unique perspective and realize that diversity produces better outcomes
- Alignment and willingness to champion Albedo's Core Values
Compensation and Benefits
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-first, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
$165,000 - $165,000 a year
The typical range we will target for this role will be within the listed salary range, but the final compensation package will be commensurate with the candidate's experience with individual pay determined by several factors including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, education, and training. Salary ranges are determined in good faith by role, level, and location.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com