Lead Attitude Estimation Engineer
Denver, CO /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra-high-resolution imagery of Earth has near-infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision-makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra-high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
What You’ll Do
- Develop a vehicle attitude estimation system utilizing the Multiplicative Extended Kalman Filter (MEKF) algorithm
- Drive assembly, integration, and testing of high-performance attitude estimation hardware and software
- Support estimation system design studies and develop flight constraints and algorithm tuning parameters to meet mission objectives
- Analyze hardware and software components of the attitude estimation system to ensure proper integration into the top-level remote sensing vehicle design
- Support test article development and hardware-in-the-loop testing of the space vehicle GN&C system
- Development manage offline space-vehicle geolocation and online real-time pointing requirements
- Plan and analyze relevant on-orbit GN&C sensor calibrations
- Requires some degree of travel to our facility in Colorado
Minimum Education and Experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Control System Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant engineering discipline
Ideal Technical Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of GNC/ACS experience
- 3+ years of experience with MATLAB/Simulink, model-based software development practices
- Strong technical fundamentals in spacecraft attitude state estimation
- Experience with star tracker and rate sensor hardware
- Expertise in quaternion kinematics
- Highly experienced in Extended Kalman Filters (EKF) used in online attitude or orbit determination applications
- Demonstrated knowledge of the tools and processes used in developing software for real-time, deterministic, embedded control systems
$180,000 - $200,000 a year
The typical range we will target for this role will be within the listed salary range, but the final compensation package will be commensurate with the candidate's experience with individual pay determined by several factors including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, education, and training. Salary ranges are determined in good faith by role, level, and location.
Albedo does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers email or to Albedo employees. Albedo is not responsible for any fees or overhead related to unsolicited resumes.
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com