Director of US Government Programs
Washington, DC /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
We are looking for a Director of US Government Programs to join the growing Albedo team! In this role, you will be Albedo’s first business development person focused on the US Government (USG). You will develop and execute Albedo’s strategy for both near-term R&D contracts and long-term sales opportunities with the Intelligence Community (IC), Department of Defense (DoD), and other USG groups. As a small-startup preparing for growth, this role will be key in setting the foundation for Albedo’s USG sales and well positioned for growth opportunities to build out and lead a dedicated team in the future.
What You'll Do
- Lead business development engagements for DoD, IC, and other USG customers
- Identify relevant R&D funding opportunities with USG, and lead proposal efforts in coordination with internal engineering teams
- Build relationships and a deep understanding of USG customers’ missions and requirements
- Brief various program offices, end users, and government officials on Albedo’s technology and product offerings
- Work closely with the Albedo executive team on shaping the long-term USG sales strategy
- Travel to customer sites and to relevant conferences
Required Skills and Experience
- 5+ years experience in business development with DOD and IC customers
- Knowledge of DoD/IC acquisition processes, contract vehicles, and Federal budget processes
- Exceptional writing skills
- Understanding of remote sensing technologies and DOD/IC applications
- Willingness to span a broad dynamic range of high visibility leadership + diving in the weeds of administrative government contracting tasks and constructing necessary internal processes
Ideal Skills and Experience
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- Technical background in remote sensing / ISR technologies
- Mission-focused programmatic background with government or industry
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit thought-leadership in business development and strategy
Important Traits for This Role
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively pass on and share your knowledge with others
- Flexibility: We are a small-team doing a lot of things - a flexible and positive mindset is instrumental for success!
- A humble and open mind: willingness to accept feedback and consistently improve upon yourself and the product you will be responsible for
- A high-degree of emotional intelligence: ability to collaborate closely with coworkers in a respectful and empathetic manner
- Belief in the value of diversity: active appreciation of each person’s unique perspective and realization that diversity produces better outcomes
- Alignment and willingness to champion Albedo's Core Values
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Flexible working hours as a remote-first company
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Three team retreats per year to build relationships in-person
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com