Lead Mechanical Engineer
Denver, CO / Remote /
Satellite imagery is a historically-scarce resource, whose adoption has been slowed by an unbalanced relationship between price and resolution. In theory, frequent, ultra high-resolution imagery of Earth has near infinite applications; in reality, only a sliver of that potential has been realized.
Albedo aims to be the catalyst in unlocking satellite imagery’s latent potential, hoping to expand current applications and propel the discovery of new use cases. Whether our imagery is being used to reduce wildfire risk, assess the environmental impact of global forestry, contribute to timely 3D reconstructions of urban areas, or monitor carbon emissions from industrial power plants, our mission is to get better data into the hands of decision makers fast. We’re modernizing how satellite imagery is used by providing near real-time access to our ultra-high resolution data.
What We’re Up To: Albedo is developing a novel approach to the earth observation industry, both in space and with our business model. We are intentionally doing things differently by taking (calculated) risks, trying new things, and moving with speed. Our team believes satellite imagery is a valuable resource that should be made accessible, in every sense of the word. We are committed to our customers, ensuring that what we’re building is what they want. We are playing at the edges of how traditional New Space technologies have been approached, and we want to shake up the industry as it stands today.
Who We’re Looking For: Albedo is launching next-generation, ultra high-resolution imaging satellites to service a global audience through a modern, cloud-based product interface. In order to achieve this goal, we are looking for a team of people who are both passionate about our mission and are willing to put in the work to design, develop, and test an innovative earth observation concept in the commercial industry. The times ahead will be set in a fast-paced, often uncertain environment, but if you are hard-working, kind, and team-oriented, you can expect a rewarding and purposeful experience.
We seek an experienced Mechanical engineer to lead our integrated bus and space craft design and analysis through our entire satellite life cycle. You will turn complex design requirements into an affordable-to-produce and easy-to-assemble design for high-rate production using manufacturing best practices. We are seeking someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and jumps at the chance to exercise their engineering skills, in addition to their CAD skills, to advance the design and industry.
What You'll Bring
- Experience designing primary and secondary spacecraft structures and load paths
- Deep understanding of space vehicle test and operational environments, AI&T workflows
- Working understanding of atomic oxygen, mission impacts and mitigations
- Knowledge of PE/MechE practices, fitting/faster/slot feature and preload sizing, materials selection
- Knowledge of DFM/DFA principles and practices, ability to iterate with DFM/DFA engineers
- Familiarity with high performance structural themes: stiffeners, isolators, composites
- Knowledge of mass optimization techniques, mass burn down strategies
- Knowledge thermo-elastic modeling workflows
- Knowledge of optomechanical design practices for achieving alignment stability throughout mechanical assembly, integration; launch environment; and on-orbit thermal environments
- Familiarity with fiducials, alignment test features and test flows
- Familiarity with the finite element method (FEM) as it relates to space vehicle structural design & analysis, including:
- Evaluation of parts stress & buckling requirements
- Analysis and decomposition of strain energy
- Coupled loads analysis (CLA), including coordination with launch-vehicle integrators
- Mass acceleration curve (MAC) for structural design
- Classical normal modes framework vs. advanced coupled damping workflows
- Ability to iterate with structural engineers to optimize designs for robustness, performance or mass
What You'll Do
- Lead Albedo’s spacecraft structural design and mechanical packaging teams
- Drive CAD modeling process throughout spacecraft mechanical design life-cycle
- Engineer mechanical design solutions for both spacecraft flight hardware and mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE).
- Perform space-vehicle system level-mechanical analysis & integration; support evaluation of loads, dynamics, and thermal performance
- Derivation, Flow down/decomposition and interpretation of launch-vehicle/ride-share loads & dynamics requirements
- Perform detailed space-vehicle mechanical design, including:
- Evaluation and enforcement of structural keep-out zones
- Harness design, integration of electrical/mechanical interfaces
- Hosting and mechanical integration of prop system, plumbing & fuel tanks
- Modeling and mechanical integration of thermal blankets and radiators
- Develop and maintain mechanical interface control documents
- Develop and maintain budgets for alignment sensitive flight hardware components and mechanical interfaces
- 6DOF mass properties estimation, formal mass properties budgeting
- Design and analysis of deployment and separation mechanisms; trades and selection of mechanism hardware
- Perform solar cell string design & layout trades; support evaluation of packing & packaging impacts on power generation capacity
- Drive mechanical integration and coordination throughout the space-vehicle coupled-loads analysis life-cycle
- Participate in mechanical component and subassembly procurement, requirements design, (primarily solar array hardware, separation mechanisms, and mechanical subassemblies)
- Own budget and schedule for the development of the space-vehicle mechanical build
What We Believe Are Important Traits For This Role
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively pass on and share your knowledge with others
- Flexibility: We are a small-team doing a lot of things - a flexible and positive mindset is instrumental for success!
- A humble and open mind: willingness to accept feedback and consistently improve upon yourself and the product you will be responsible for
- A high-degree of emotional intelligence: ability to collaborate closely with coworkers in a respectful and empathetic manner
- Belief in the value of diversity: active appreciation of each person’s unique perspective and realization that diversity produces better outcomes
- Alignment and willingness to champion Albedo's Core Values
- Employee friendly equity compensation
- Remote-first, asynchronous culture with flexible working hours
- 4% direct matching 401k
- Insurance: Medical, Vision, Dental, Mental Health
- Parental leave and childcare coverage
- Relocation bonus for moving to our Denver, CO HQ
- 20 paid vacation days, yours from day one
- 10 company holidays and unlimited sick days
- $100 monthly wellness benefit
- Team retreats to build relationships in-person
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires in-person engagement by working on-site, depending on the company phase. Travel to other possible non-Albedo locations may be required.
Relocation: Relocation for this position is available
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a small office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Additional Requirements: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. All persons hired will be required to be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Albedo is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions? Feedback? Feel free to email us at careers @ albedo.com