Member of Technical Staff - Platform Engineer
Platform Engineering /
We’re looking for an engineer to join Platform Engineering team at Alcion. The mission of the Platform Engineering team is to provide a secure, reliable, and easy to use platform to enable our teams to build, test, deploy, and monitor the Alcion product. As a member of the team, you will help build and maintain software that automates our software delivery and orchestrates our infrastructure.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with cloud infrastructure and software development experience to help with a greenfield build using the modern cloud native technologies. The ideal candidate will have had similar roles in a rapidly growing SaaS company. This is not a DevOps position, it's a software engineering role focused on infrastructure, tooling, and software delivery.
Alcion is a distributed, remote-only team and we are hiring in all time zones.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Write and maintain code to automate our public cloud infrastructure, software delivery pipeline, and other enablement tools.
- Write and maintain code for internally consumed platform services.
- Document system design, configurations, processes, and decisions to support our async, distributed team culture.
- Collaborate with a team of remote engineers to build the Alcion platform.
- Work with a modern technology stack based on containers, serverless infrastructure, Golang, Vue, public cloud services, and other cutting edge technologies in the SaaS domain.
Requirements for ideal candidates:
- Experience automating infrastructure through code using technologies such as AWS CloudFormation/CDK, Terraform, or Pulumi.
- Experience with GitHub Actions
- Experience with a breadth and depth of AWS services.
- Understanding of the principles of operational excellence.
- Experience building and supporting enterprise SaaS products.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and implement those technologies in a pragmatic manner.
- Ability to scope down complex technical problems and not get blocked behind decisions or dependencies.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (Go, Python, Java, C/C++, etc.).
- Understanding and experience implementing secure design principles in the cloud.
- A strong bias toward action and direct, frequent communication.
- Comfortable and competent in written communication, both technical and other.
- Passionate about automation.
Nice to have
- Experience working in and excitement for startup environments.
- Experience with serverless technologies.
- Open Source Software contributions.
- AWS Solutions Architect certification.
We start with a ~45 minute intro and technical screen Zoom call with an engineering leader. Assuming there’s a mutual fit, we run through an interview loop with 3-4 team members (~45 minutes each).
We use real-world problems in our interviews instead of LeetCode style coding challenges/puzzles that will give you a sense of the engineering tasks you will be working on.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not tolerate discrimination in any form on the basis on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.