Scientist, Target Discovery & Genomics
South San Francisco, CA /
Target Discovery & Genomics /
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians, leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partners who share in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.
As a Scientist in our Target Discovery & Genomics team, you will play a key role in Alector's efforts to identify and implement new technologies within the new target discovery platform. Your role will entail the implimentation of novel in vitro models focusing on the utilization of CRISPR technolgies in iPSC-derived cells for functional genomics screens and target characterization. You will work closely with other biology and computational scientists throughout this role and projects. You will apply your existing technical skills to carry out analyses central to Alector’s scientific discovery effort - and learn new skills along the way. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in encouraging and developing Alector’s culture and discovery strategy.
- Closely cross collaborate with computational and research scientists to develop cell models relevant to target discovery screens and screen hit characterization.
- Craft and complete an innovative approach to drug discovery and development, leading workflow of the group to ensure quality, prioritization, and timeliness across multiple programs
- Keep track of innovative methods and model systems and introduce them when appropriate.
- You have expertise in induced pluripotent stem cell manipulation and differentiation, including relevant CNS cell types.
- You will use CRISPR technologies to allow screening and assay development in disease-relevant cells.
- Communicate verbal and written analytical analyses to collaborators at different levels and across teams.
- You will support current programs and upcoming business needs.
- PhD in relevant science or Bachelor of Science with an emphasis in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Organismal Biology.
- Author/co-author of several peer-reviewed publications in relevant high-impact journals.
- Knowledge of current technologies for genomic data generation, such as RNAseq and single cell RNA Seq.
- Experience in stem cell culture and differentiation to relevant cell types.
- Experience in assay development in CNS cell types.
- Ability to integrate in vitro and in vivo data.
- Ability to problem solve and critically think independently.
- Take pride in being persistent, self-motivated, and efficient.
- Thrive in an environment of working in cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrate a track record of learning new things and troubleshooting independently.
Employees of Alector working on-site are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and are required to provide proof of vaccination. Employees may be entitled to an exception or reasonable accommodation if they cannot be vaccinated because of a disability/medical necessity, or sincerely held religious belief.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.
Alector was named on Fortune’s "Best Workplaces in Biopharma" top list for small and medium-sized companies for the second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.
Among the things you'll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work options, and competitive compensation and benefits. Come join us!
At Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.