Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Investor Relations
South San Francisco, CA /
Corporate Communications & IR /
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians, leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partners who share in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.
The Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Investor Relations will be reporting directly to the CFO, will be part of the team working to ensure that Alector is strategically positioned with all external counterparts including press, investors, sellside analysts and other constituencies. The individual will be heavily involved in all aspects of corporate communications and investor relations, including and shaping the corporate messaging and investment thesis, tracking and analyzing the investor landscape and planning and driving an active IR calendar. This individual will also engage our internal and external corporate communications programs and vendors, and serve as one of the primary contacts with the investor community.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Work with the CFO and executive team to develop and implement a comprehensive, best-in-class Corp Communications and IR program that aligns with company strategy and leverages a strong understanding of the investment, biotech, and pharmaceutical communities to enhance the perception and visibility of Alector
- Collaborate with various functions within Alector, including the executive team, clinical science, medical affairs, regulatory, corporate communication, finance, business development, and legal teams to develop consistent messaging and flow across all external collateral materials
- Lead and/or consult on the production of all communications-related materials including presentations, press releases, social media content, corporate brochures, videos, interview briefs, and more.
- Manage interactions and communications with existing and potential shareholders and sell-side analysts; be responsive to information needs in compliance with company policies and securities regulations
- Manage external communication agency relationships
- Collaborate with company leadership to advance engagement with sell-side analysts, with the goal of supporting coverage that recognizes the portfolio value and aligns with the corporate growth trajectory
- Gather real-time insights and analysis from analyst reports, shareholder filings, investment sentiment, and competitor activity, and effectively prepare Alector leadership team/other internal stakeholders for external interactions
- Share market intelligence and investor perceptions of the company’s performance, and make sure investors are represented as a key stakeholder in the formation/execution of program strategy and communications
- Partner with legal to develop securities filings/other disclosures and ensure compliance with company policies and securities regulations
- Oversee ongoing analysis of shareholder base and refinement of investor targeting strategy
- Assist in development of strategic communications directed to the investment community related to corporate and product milestones, quarterly financial results, annual report, and other disclosures, including press releases, conference call scripts, slides, and Q&A
- Direct the IR section of corporate website including managing core messaging and updates to the company corporate presentation
- Manage media and investor relations firms and assist in other external press relations
- Help organize, plan, attend and track company road shows, presentations, speaking engagements, and conferences
- Serve as primary contact and resource for fielding investor calls, requests for information, and shareholder questions
- Manage other third-party vendors and resources
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- BA/BS required; degree in the life sciences or finance preferred
- 10+ years of biotech/pharma industry experience, 4+ years of Corporate Communications or IR experience at a public biotech/pharma/life science company
- High attention to detail and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong planning, organizational, time, and project management skills to prioritize and complete multiple assignments and coordinate workflow
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential and sensitive information
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to anticipate needs, be proactive, and exercise independent decision-making
- Ability to perform in a high-pressure environment and meet tight deadlines
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to draft engaging and impactful messages
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.
Alector was named on Fortune’s "Best Workplaces in Biopharma" top list for small and medium-sized companies for the second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.
Among the things you'll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work options, and competitive compensation and benefits. Come join us!
Base salary ranges from $50,000 to $300,000 and will be determined by the candidate's level, qualifications, skill set, and experience.
At Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Employees of Alector working on-site are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and are required to provide proof of vaccination. Employees may be entitled to an exception or reasonable accommodation if they cannot be vaccinated because of a disability/medical necessity, or sincerely held religious belief.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.