Scientist, Downstream Process Development
Newark, CA /
Downstream Process Development /
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to combat neurodegeneration and cancer. Our team is solely focused on developing treatments for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and clinicians, leading healthcare investors, and pharma company partners who share in our commitment to bettering the lives of patients.
Do you desire both autonomy and collaboration in tackling scientific challenges that interest you? Be a part of a hardworking team where everyone has a voice. Use your scientific skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases.
As a Purification Scientist, you will be part of our Downstream Process Development team and work closely with members of the Upstream and Analytical Development teams. This is an exciting management track position where you will have the opportunity to lead a team within the Downstream organization. This role is part of a cross-functional team, requiring you to communicate and work well with multiple departments, including Preclinical and Research teams. Alector is seeking a candidate that has broad experience in downstream process development for monoclonal antibodies, screening, optimization and scale up for each unit operation. You will be responsible for the development of product-specific, purification processes for Alector’s lead molecules as well as purification of research reagents to support drug discovery efforts. You will identify and provide support for ongoing programs and your work will be central to Alector’s strategic goals. You will be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.
During your first year, your goals will include:
- Screen and optimize purification steps for yield, product quality, reduction of impurities, and loading conditions
- Perform robustness testing of chromatography unit operations and scale-up purification processes.
- Conduct hold-stability studies of intermediate eluate product pools Design and implement formulation studies, including short and long-term hold stability studies of formulated proteins
- Evaluate new technologies (e.g. automation, novel resins and membranes, etc.) to further enhance internal process development capabilities
- Mentor junior research associates in process development best-practices
- Lead a team in the purification, proper documenting, and final filling of larger-scale Drug Substance batches for Non-GLP tox studies
- Author, review, and edit documents related to downstream processes, such as SOPs, batch records, and development reports
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- PhD in relevant scientific fields with 2-5 years OR a B.S degree with at least 8 years of increasing responsibility, relevant proven industry experience
- Hands-on experience developing, optimizing, and scaling-up purification process unit operations for various chromatography methods using AKTA FPLC systems
- Possess technical mastery of industry-standard methods for the purification of antibodies like: Protein A, IEX, HIC and mixed mode chromatography, TFF and Formulation
- Experienced with Unicorn software and able to author and customize purification methods for various techniques
- Experience in design of experiments (DOE) for screening, optimization and robustness testing
- Familiarity with purification of fusion proteins, tagged proteins, and bi-specific molecules
- Strong organization skills in recording and summarizing data with strong attention to detail
- Must possess the ability to multitask and prioritize work to support organizational needs and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to design, execute and analyze experiments and problem-solve independently
- Excellent communication skills to work collaboratively in a team environment
Additional desirable skills:
- Experience with basic analytical assays (e.g. SDS-PAGE, SEC-HPLC, UV-Vis, LAL), liquid protein formulation development, and large-scale purification.
Alector is a phenomenal place to learn and grow. Alector is a dynamic environment where teams are encouraged to experiment, take ownership of decisions, and question convention to solve complex problems. At Alector, we value shared wins, perseverance, and a growth mindset.
Alector was named on Fortune’s "Best Workplaces in Biopharma" top list for small and medium-sized companies for the second year! And we moved up from #16 to #11 in 2022.
Among the things you'll discover at Alector on Day 1 and throughout your tenure: Committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, brand-new brightly lit offices in Oyster Point, right at the heart of Biotech Bay. Alector offers flexible remote work options, and competitive compensation and benefits. Come join us!
Base salary ranges from $50,000 to $300,000 and will be determined by the candidate's level, qualifications, skill set, and experience.
At Alector, we believe that hard-working teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Employees of Alector working on-site are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and are required to provide proof of vaccination. Employees may be entitled to an exception or reasonable accommodation if they cannot be vaccinated because of a disability/medical necessity, or sincerely held religious belief.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.