Engineering – DX /
Algolia was built to help users deliver an intuitive search-as-you-type experience on their websites and mobile apps. We provide a search API used by thousands of customers in more than 100 countries. Billions of search queries are answered every month thanks to the code we push every day into production.
This is an opportunity for someone to help design and make an immense impact at a fast growing company. You should value and practice transparency, have the humility to accept your weaknesses and continuously strive to improve both personally and professionally.
Do you like, or would you like to, craft code, tools and libraries for developers? Do you love to design a clean API solving real-world use cases? Then apply and let's chat about it.
Coming right from an engineer in the team : “As a developer, I use a ton of different libraries to achieve my goals of building applications. Now I can go to the next level and learn how to build tools for developers to build their applications. It's a whole different challenge, I do it in the open source world and engage with my users.”.
Your role will consist of:
- Architecture, design and develop new versions of Vue InstantSearch, React InstantSearch, InstantSearch.js, Angular InstantSearch as well as JS API Client and so much more with the help of the team
- Implement new features, solve issues and analyse user's feedback on our popular open-source projects
- Coordinate with our product, design and marketing teams on the release of new projects and websites
- Take ownership, research, explore and deliver novel experiences
- Teach us what we don't know and how you want to improve the search and discovery experience
- Participate (new features, bug fixes) to other popular open-source projects related to our project needs
- Be a technical mentor and help the team grow
- Help define engineering best practices and processes
In a typical morning I would open my GitHub notifications and seek for any important subject: a customer needing help with a bug, a colleague asking for a pull request review. Then I would go back at coding and tackling one of the team objectives we set early in the quarter. Right after lunch, once per week we have a team meeting to discuss challenges at stake and progress.
You might be a fit if you have:
- You have created at least one reusable module (private or public)
- Experience with at least one of the following frameworks React, Angular, Vue.js or Ember.js
- A passion for shipping quality code
- You have an eye for great user experiences (UX)
- Willingness to go beyond what you know today
- You like to help, teach and mentor your colleagues
- Ability to interact with contributors and customers
- Good oral and written communication in English
- Overall we care about your current and future skillset. Not where you studied or who do you know. We care about what you like to do and about what you'd like to do in the future, at Algolia.
Nice to have:
- You have built search and discovery experiences
- You have experience with npm, Yarn, webpack, Rollup, Lerna
- You have some UI design skills
- You are able to show empathy towards your colleagues
- You are a manager of one
- You are interested in native or mobile web platforms (react-native)
- We are not specifically looking for very active GitHub profiles (that's only a plus), we are looking for developers that know a bit and wants to create tools for others developers
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and flexible time off
- Open to remote from France and the UK
- Competitive pay and equity in a healthy startup
- Your choice of computer, phone, you name it: everything you need to be efficient and at ease
- Coaching and sponsorship to attend, participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including language learning (English/French), coding & more.
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Fully stocked office and kitchens, team workouts, meals & happy hours
📩 Message from your future coworkers: we are a team of fifteen engineers all with different skills and backgrounds. What we like the most about our job is being able to code in the public on GitHub and have an immediate impact on our users by providing them tools that make them more productive.
We speak English 100% of our time. We do bi-weekly meetings and stand-up meetings. We, pre-covid, enjoy off-sites where we hack for one day, outside the office, on anything we want and then go onto a nice dinner followed by an escape game in Paris.
If you feel like you would love to work with us but you're wondering if you qualify given the requirements: apply and we will guide you. Do not hesitate, you can't know if you qualify if you don't apply.
Good luck! 🍀