Director of Product Design & Research
Product – Product Design
At Algolia, we are passionate about helping developers & product teams connect their users with what matters most in milliseconds!
On the Product Team at Agolia, we believe that search and discovery are fundamental to the internet (and human) experience. We believe that empowering developers and non-developers to create great solutions for their businesses is the key to improving online discovery experiences across the globe. We’ve already created a suite of products to empower people to build amazing search experiences, and we are now excited to explore how our technology can power new interfaces in more contexts.
Product Design & Research at Algolia:
As key members of the Product Team at Algolia, we work closely with Product Managers to discover and develop the best products for Algolia. Our products serve a wide variety of users, from developers, to marketing managers, merchandizers, and end-users of search themselves. We work on a variety of projects, including: empowering developers with the tools they need to improve their search, defining best practices and patterns for end-users of search experiences, helping our customers make decisions based on their search data, and bringing the power of artificial intelligence to businesses. We also collaborate and partner closely with the Brand Design team to ensure we all build seamless end-to-end Algolia experiences for our users.
As the Director of Product Design & Research, you will take our practice to the next level! You will lead and develop a team of passionate and autonomous Product Designers and Researchers. You will work with your Product Management and Engineering counterparts to deliver the best user-centered products.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Design the org for scale and efficiency. You will help the Product Design and User Research Teams scale, by creating the structure and processes to grow designers and researchers and ensure we have the right mix of skills on the team. You will set the standards for design velocity and delivering high-quality products.
- Mentor and coach. You will help your reports develop into the next generation of design and research leaders. You will also help them perform at their best, enabling their teams to grow and learn.
- Build the team. You will work with the team to attract, recruit and retain the best talent. You will help us build a strong employer brand that enables Algolia to have a voice in the product design community.
- Create a strong design culture. You will collaborate with the Brand Design Team to define our unified design culture and demonstrate it every day through your actions. You will embody and practice Algolia’s core values in the way you manage your team: grit, humility, candor, care, and trust.
- Scale design process and practices. You will work with the team and our creative director to keep evolving our methodological toolkit, and make sure it is shared and understood throughout the team and Algolia. You will help us build and mature our design system. You will work with PM and Engineering Leaders to ensure close alignment in our processes and initiatives.
- Create a Vision. You will work with the team to create and develop a unified experience across products and platforms. You will also help us define and bring to life the vision for research and product design at Algolia. Finally, you will be a part of strategic planning for Algolia and your team.
- Represent the team for the organization. You will work closely with our Head of Product and Algolia’s leadership team. You will be the primary voice of research and product design inside and outside the company; sharing its work, evangelizing its success, articulating its vision and value.
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Experience leading and scaling product design teams in a fast-growing environment.
- You have experience building and operationalizing a design system.
- Are exceptionally user-centric.
- Extensive management experience and can effectively grow and train new managers.
- You’ve been humbled by your successes and failures in your past leadership roles. You see leadership as a service role and strive to support and bring out the full potential in your reports and the organization.
- You know how to strike the right balance between quality, speed, and vision in our design and research execution.
- You are an expert communicator, and can do so effectively in written and spoken English.
- You are adaptable and embrace change, have a growth mindset, willingness to own problems, a desire to make things better, and a sense of optimism.
- You can be effective working across time zones and cultures.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and unlimited time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Corporate flats available for the first months of relocation and when you travel to different offices
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours