Product Designer (First Design Hire)
New York /
At Alkymi, we’re on a mission to fundamentally transform the way data is exchanged, consumed and leveraged by businesses in order to supercharge human productivity. Most of the world's data is trapped and unleveraged. We're unlocking it using machine learning, computer vision, and other cutting-edge technologies.
We are a sub 15 person headcount company looking for our first designer as we enter our next phase of growth and execute on an ambitious product roadmap. We're a small shop and are building it from scratch.
You will be a key stakeholder owning our UI/UX design efforts and making a significant contribution to our next generation of products. As the first designer on our team, you’ll be a leader that will be responsible for setting our design foundation.
The ideal candidate will be excited and motivated by the challenge of playing an important role in our growth story. You’ll solve known, near-term design challenges and help define our product roadmap. This role is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to make a significant impact in a fast-growing, high-potential early stage machine learning startup.
Founded in 2017, Alkymi has raised $5M of capital from leading venture capital firms such as Canaan and Work-Bench as well as the industry leading platform SimCorp. And we’re just getting started.
Who you are
- You are a cross-functional designer who has partnered with product and engineering throughout your career to ship intuitive, elegant and functional products.
- You enjoy working side by side with engineers.
- You have a proven track record of rapid software releases.
- You are committed to empowering development teams by providing clear and actionable design direction.
- You have proven experience applying strategic thinking and business goals to design questions.
- You have deep experience designing products, with preferred experience in SaaS, data visualization, workflow/automation tools, no/low-code applications and/or utilitarian design. Experience in an AI/ML environment is a plus.
- You are comfortable in uncharted waters and excited about grappling with difficult questions at the intersection of machine learning and UI/UX.
- You have experience building final designs and prototypes, as well as experience establishing design frameworks. You may also be comfortable jumping in to do some CSS coding.
- You are experienced in using design, prototyping tools and agile methodology to translate ideas into working products.
What you'll be doing
- Leading product design, informing our product vision and strategy, and playing a key role in the development of our suite of products.
- Providing a foundation for Alkymi to scale its design function, helping us standardize our design frameworks and language across our products.
- Closely collaborating with product and engineering on a daily basis to make your designs a reality by providing clear and actionable design guidance.
- Taking into account existing insights, technical constraints, business needs, and specific market demands to produce impactful design solutions.
- Rapidly producing multiple design concepts and prototypes for feedback and brainstorming when needed, or going deep on thoughtful and elegant final designs.
- Taking full ownership of your work and full responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way, from whiteboard sketching to high-fidelity final treatments, to design QA.