Manager, Technical Services
Technical Services – Central /
Allied REIT is looking for a Manager, Technical Services to lead a team of Building Operators in Toronto.
At Allied, everything starts with purpose. In the role of Manager, Technical Services, you will manage the team that ensures Allied’s properties are performing well in terms of building systems, physical attributes and customer service excellence. This, in turn, allows Allied to fulfill our mission to provide our tenants with distinctive urban workspace.
Who are you?
We are building upon our achievements at Allied, and the future is exciting. How can we be so sure? We have people like you: engaged professionals who consistently deliver their best.
Throughout your professional career, you have stood out for your pursuit of excellence. You are self-motivated, take ownership, and lead by example. In doing so, you elevate your team and collaborate towards your collective goals.
Above all, you are excited by Allied’s mission and the contribution we make to enhance urban environments.
What will you do?
- Oversee the performance of a large portfolio with complex buildings.
- Lead, coach, and develop a team of Building Operators, by fostering team spirit, knowledge-sharing, empowerment, and unity among all departments, and managing performance through ongoing conversations/feedback and goals.
- Participate in Talent Management activities, including identifying staffing needs, interviewing, and selecting candidates, onboarding and training new employees, and performance management.
- Ensure each Building Operator is cross trained on all the buildings in their respective pool of buildings.
- Oversee job tasks, work schedules, overtime, and holidays for all Building Operators.
- Ensure Building Operators present an acceptable appearance while performing the duties of their position, including being in full uniform while on duty.
- Responsible for properties transition from development to full occupancy.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Property Management team to ensure department objectives are met.
- Work closely with suppliers/contractors to ensure that all required services are performed.
- Ensure service contracts are enforced, service levels are achieved, and contractors are adequately supervised when on site.
- Responsible for overseeing large building commissioning, maintenance, and operations, such as HVAC, Life and Safety, elevating devices, building envelope, electrical and data distribution, and other related equipment and systems.
- Conduct routine inspections on all site mechanical, electrical, and HVAC systems and related equipment including but not limited to water treatment, boilers, heat pumps, roof top units, air conditioners, on a regular basis to ensure equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Yardi FM and Tenant requests requirements: audit response times monthly on all tenant and preventive maintenance requests, ensure all services performed are recorded in the system, and review on regular basis all relevant reports, make recommendations and deliver solutions to improve the service level.
- Ensure all tenant concerns are addressed in a timely and professional manner and assist in solving issues as required. Follow up with the tenants to ensure they are satisfied with the work.
- Execute all preventative maintenance tasks as prescribed on all equipment and systems and modify tasks and information as required.
- Audit all daily/weekly/monthly logs and ensure readings are properly maintained, look for any irregularities and discrepancies and take appropriate action to ensure safe and efficient operation of all equipment/systems.
- Work closely with Property Management in the preparation of building operating budgets and lead the preparation of capital budgets for all buildings in the portfolio.
- Comply with company policies and standard operating procedures and ensure building standards and efficiencies are maintained.
- Work closely with Property Management and Development to liaise with technical consultants and contractors on tenant improvement work, capital improvements and/or base building projects. This includes timely turnover and preparation of vacant premises.
- Manage the procurement of all supplies and services required for property/portfolio.
- Ensure all health, safety and security procedures are adhered to and areas of concern are reported to the appropriate parties in a timely manner to limit exposure to liability and loss.
- Ensure that all fire protection equipment & systems are inspected & tested at recommended intervals for proper operation to meet legislative requirements and ensure tenant and customer safety.
- Ensure seasonal building requirements and services such as ice and snow clearing, salting, seasonal decorating, and grounds keeping are met. Ensure that work is carried out, appropriately and according to the service agreements.
- Respond to after hour calls and/or emergencies when required.
- Work closely with Leasing Manager and Property Management team, where applicable, to ensure Landlords work targeted deadlines are met, including scope, tendering and execution.
- Develop and sustain cooperative and collaborative working relationships with operations staff, property management, sub-contractors, tenants/occupants and the community.
- Complete assigned duties with respect to Allied Sustainable Well Being and User Engagement Programs.
- Participate in the certification process for BOMA, LEED, WELL, if applicable.
What are we looking for?
- Minimum 9 years of experience in physical plant operations, HVAC/BAS, plumbing, electrical, fire alarm, and other related equipment and systems.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in maintenance/construction project management.
- Experience with managing budgets and performance through KPI’s.
- Experience in establishing and implementing best practices and policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, Engineering, or a related degree.
- Certificate of Building Environmental Systems: BES I & II, SMA/SMT, 4th Class Power Engineer, or equivalent.
- Certificate of Building Environmental Systems Facility Manager.
- Provincial boiler safety authority training.
- Strong knowledge of building operations and troubleshooting of building systems, including but not limited to: HVAC, electrical, plumbing, building automation, life safety, building envelope, etc.
- Strong Knowledge of Occupational and Safety Act, Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) and First Aid and CPR training.
- Advanced ability to read and interpret plans, drawings, blueprints, and specifications (CAD advanced knowledge).
- Strong Knowledge of Provincial Building Code & Regulations, Canadian Electrical Code, Provincial Fire Code and Electrical Safety Authority.
- Knowledge of sustainability best practices, energy management, and ESG reporting.
- Demonstrate strong leaderships skills, with the ability to lead, coach, mentor and manage employees.
- Competent in time management and allocating workload according to priorities, work well under pressure, manage tight deadlines, and can manage multiple demands.
- Adapt to new ideas, constant changes, and changing client needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
- Strong computer literacy, including MS Office (Word/Excel), Yardi FM and Building Automation Systems.
- Positive attitude, self-motivated, and professional.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills, with a problem-solving mindset.
- Collaborative and team player.
- Detail oriented and good organization skills.
- Willingness to work overtime to respond to emergencies and business demands.
- Valid driver’s license.
Training and Knowledge:
Who are we?
Allied Properties REIT (TSE:AP.UN) is a leading owner, manager and developer of (i) distinctive urban workspace in Canada’s major cities and (ii) network-dense urban data centres that form Canada’s hub for global connectivity. Allied’s business is providing knowledge-based organizations with distinctive urban environments for creativity and connectivity.
We are also a great place to work. Allied is listed as a 2021 Best Employer in Canada as part of Kincentric’s Best Employers global certification, which distinguishes organizations that demonstrate strong results in employee engagement, organizational agility, engaging leadership and talent focus.
We are committed to hiring the most qualified candidates with a dedication towards supporting diversity, equity and inclusion across our organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, origin, sexual orientation, disability and socioeconomic background.
Note: If you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.