Technical Services – Central /
Allied REIT is looking for a Building Operator to join our Technical Services team in Toronto.
At Allied, everything starts with purpose. In the role of Building Operator, you will contribute meaningfully to your team’s culture and ensure our portfolio is performing well in terms of building systems, physical attributes and curb appeal. This, in turn, allows Allied to fulfill our mission to provide our tenants with a distinctive experience.
Who are you?
We are building upon our achievements at Allied, and the future is exciting. How can we be so sure? We have people like you: engaged professionals who consistently deliver their best.
Throughout your professional career, you have stood out for your pursuit of excellence. You are self-motivated, take ownership, and lead by example. In doing so, you elevate your team and collaborate towards your collective goals.
Above all, you are excited by Allied’s mission and the contribution we make to enhance urban environments.
What will you do?
- Ensure service contracts are enforced, service levels are achieved, and contractors are adequately supervised when on site.
- Conduct inspections and complete repairs as necessary, on all site mechanical, electrical, and HVAC/BAS systems and related equipment including but not limited to water treatment, boilers, heat pumps, roof top units, air conditioners, etc., on daily/weekly basis and complete appropriate record logs to ensure equipment is maintained in good working order.
- Respond, coordinate tenant concerns and delivery of services in a timely manner and assist in finding solutions as required.
- Respond to all tenant and preventive maintenance tasks generated from Yardi FM and record all services performed in the system.
- Take daily readings of all major equipment, if applicable, including but not limited to air supply temperatures, water temperatures and pressure readings, etc.
- Document and inspect for irregularities in daily readings.
- Complete or arrange interior and exterior maintenance and repairs as required; including, but not limited to, belt & filter replacement, lamp replacement, housekeeping of common areas, washroom and plumbing repair work, wall painting, drywall repairs, etc.
- Conduct regular interior, exterior and roof inspections of properties for damage and perform or arrange repairs.
- Once approved, coordinate and schedule all required maintenance or repair/replacement with the appropriate subcontractor.
- Ensure signage and lighting are in good working condition.
- Carry out or supervise execution of all preventative maintenance tasks as prescribed on all equipment and systems.
- Collaborate with all departments on buildings tasks to ensure smooth building operations.
- Respond and assist with seasonal building requirements, including snow clearing/removal, salting and seasonal planting and watering etc.
- Maintain shop and equipment inventory, request replacement inventory as required.
- Maintain cleanliness and service of all common areas and mechanical rooms.
- Provide support in the preparation of building operating budgets.
- Ensure all equipment and systems are operated in a safe and efficient manner and are in compliance with all applicable government codes & regulations.
- Always comply with company policies and procedures and ensure building standards and efficiencies are maintained.
- Respond to after hour calls and/or emergencies when required.
- Monitor building security system, fire alarm panel and sprinkler system regularly for proper operation and report any discrepancies.
- Complete weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly testing where required and assist in conducting the required fire drills.
- Ensure all health, safety and security procedures are adhered to and areas of concern are reported to the appropriate parties in a timely manner to limit exposure to liability and loss.
- Inspect & test fire protection equipment & systems at recommended intervals for proper operation to meet legislative requirements and ensure tenant and customer safety.
- Maintain a list of up to date and accurate emergency contact information and regularly review the procedures for life safety, emergency response and the fire safety plan.
- Complete any other duties as required.
What are we looking for?
- Minimum 2 years of experience in building operations, general maintenance in a commercial, retail, or industrial environment.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Fire Alarm, and other related equipment and systems.
- Certificate of Building Environmental Systems: BES I & II, SMA/SMT, 4th Class Power Engineer, or equivalent.
- Understanding and knowledge of the building operations, life safety, emergencies procedures, and building systems including but not limited to HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety, BBN, OT.
- Understanding of energy management practices, heat transfer principles and sustainability.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act, knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) and First Aid and CPR training.
- Knowledge of Provincial Building Code & Regulations, Canadian Electrical Code, Provincial Fire Code and Electrical Safety Authority.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, drawings, blueprints, and specifications (CAD advanced knowledge).
- Experience in working at heights and use of booms and lifts, if applicable, would be an asset.
- An assertive self-starter with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision.
- Great time management skills and ability to prioritize work to deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames.
- Good communication and customer service skills.
- Collaborative and team player.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Detail oriented and good organization skills.
- Adaptable to new ideas and change.
- Computer literacy, including MS Office (Word/Excel).
- Knowledge of Yardi FM, or other building management system would be an asset.
- Willingness to work overtime to respond to emergencies and business demands.
- Valid driver’s license.
Who are we?
Allied Properties REIT (TSE:AP.UN) is a leading owner, manager and developer of (i) distinctive urban workspace in Canada’s major cities and (ii) network-dense urban data centres that form Canada’s hub for global connectivity. Allied’s business is providing knowledge-based organizations with distinctive urban environments for creativity and connectivity.
We are also a great place to work. Allied is listed as a 2021 Best Employer in Canada as part of Kincentric’s Best Employers global certification, which distinguishes organizations that demonstrate strong results in employee engagement, organizational agility, engaging leadership and talent focus.
We are committed to hiring the most qualified candidates with a dedication towards supporting diversity, equity and inclusion across our organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, origin, sexual orientation, disability and socioeconomic background.
Note: If you require any form of accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible.