Head of Product
San Francisco /
At Alloy, we work with consumer goods companies that make the products we eat, wear, and use every day, as well as the ones we occasionally splurge on. We’re tackling a real and complex problem for them—managing supply and demand in the face of constantly changing customer behavior, highly complex supply chain networks, 40-year-old data standards and labor-intensive manual processes.
Alloy is a fast-growing, well-funded startup with an expanding presence across the world. Our team hails from successful startups, leading tech companies and Fortune 100 enterprises. We believe deeply in fostering individual ownership, iterating to excellence, focusing on what matters, communicating openly & respectfully, and supporting one another.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Alloy is committed to creating an inclusive culture, and we celebrate diversity of all kinds.
Product Management at Alloy
Product Management at Alloy advocate for our customers, users, and our business! We partner with engineering, customer success, marketing, and sales to drive Alloy’s product vision and ensure our products’ success from concept, through launch, and beyond. We’re solving challenging and fascinating technical problems that directly improve our customers’ businesses. Data, research, strategy, and empathy are the tools that we use to align interdisciplinary teams around a common goal, balancing diverse perspectives and empowering our teams to do great work.
As the Head of Product, you will be directly responsible for managing our Product team and our product roadmap. You have a solid knowledge of the various constraints of the business, a deep understanding of our users and market, and a passion and intuition for building great software products.
While product teams are empowered to figure out the best solutions to the problems that need to be solved, we also hold those teams accountable to the results. Shipping is necessary, but not sufficient. We develop product managers that are not afraid to sign up for outcomes, even when this means they have to work through others to achieve the necessary results.
What You'll Do
- Own our product roadmap. Collaborate closely with Sales, Marketing, Client Solutions, and Engineering to develop a roadmap that will deliver a best-in-class product.
- Empower our product managers to do their best work. Mentor and guide them, ensure we are focusing on what matters, and help them develop in their careers.
- Focus on our customers. You’ll drive our team to do customer research for our products and help our Sales and Client Solutions teams in customer meetings where a product voice is needed.
- Our leaders lead by example. With a small team, you will be expected to be both detail oriented with our Product Managers and to take on some individual projects of your own.
- Deeply understand Alloy’s capabilities, the needs of our users, and the needs of our customers’ businesses. Proactively identify opportunities for Alloy to leverage our technology and data capabilities to meet their needs in new and valuable ways.
- Collaborate with engineering and design teams to ship new products and features, including documenting technical specifications, coordinating development and launch activities, and seeking input from key stakeholders including: users, sales, marketing, client success and Alloy leadership.
- Combine your understanding of our customers’ needs, our product’s capabilities and our business goals to help the team identify and prioritize high-value projects.
- Review and interpret qualitative and quantitative data on usage patterns to uncover new product insights.
- You thrive in a small team where you can make a big impact. You are confident in your toolkit and experience, and you also love to pick up new skills and knowledge.
- You have an innate drive to be successful. As a foundational member of an early-stage startup, you want to take initiative and solve big problems.
- You pursue your personal objectives, but you are also comfortable working collaboratively with other disciplines. When you know a better way, you voice your opinion.
- You are both creative and analytical. You thrive in ambiguous situations and are very comfortable leading through influence rather than authority. You can move fluidly between strategy and execution.
What We're Looking For:
- Someone who has been responsible for managing a product roadmap, conducting quarterly planning and assigning objectives to product teams.
- Experience in supply chain is required and analytics experience is a bonus.
- Proven track record of multiple years as an individual contributor product manager successfully launching enterprise B2B software productsExperience managing teams of multiple product managers and empowering them to do their best work.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of your role as the primary coach of your product managers, and how that differs from managing products directly.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with the ability explain complicated concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A keen ability to understand the root need revealed by customer feedback (i.e. look beyond what the customer is asking for, and make sure you understand what they really need).
- Background in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related field.
- Strong design instincts.
- Experience working in a startup environment.