Software Engineer – Python
We’ve created allplants to make eating more plants delicious, healthy, accessible and full of joy. An inclusive celebration of food and life: a fiesta, not a fast. Through our food and website we make it easy for anyone to make the switch towards plants one dish at a time, with delicious, chef-made, plant-based food straight from our kitchen to yours.
allplants is one of a handful of venture capital backed B-Corps in the world, dedicated to help solve the climate crisis at scale, using business as a force for good. Already the leading plant-based living platform in Europe our team of +140 have served millions of meals to homes UK-wide. Our plans for 2021 and beyond are as exciting as they are delicious – growing our kitchen and product range to serve our expanding community of allplants people!
It’s rare, as a programmer, to have a physical impact on the world. With your code at allplants you will literally be putting food on our customer’s tables. We are building a rich set of Python systems on top of SaaS (like Shopify) and open source tools (such as ERPNext and Akeneo) to run our growing food business.
This is not a job where you’ll just sit and turn specs into code, it’s a rewarding role where you’ll be building the fundamentals of an experience that our users, partners and the allplants team themselves will love.
What will you be doing?
- Extending our Python/Flask platform to serve our clients
- Writing high quality, simple and clean code
- Placing emphasis on outcome rather than output (think OKRs)
- Aspire towards TDD but be pragmatic about it
- Engaging in smart chatter about our code with the team
- Be expected to dip into some frontend too e.g admin interfaces, data visualisation
Here are your buzzwords- not exhaustive, nor prescriptive- just some things we like!
Python, Flask, REST, Heroku, Postgres, Redis, Gunicorn, AWS, Stripe, Sendgrid, RabbitMQ, Celery, Cloudflare, Papertrail, Sentry, Retool, Swagger, NewRelic, Docker
The salary for this role is based on our internal frame work and is up to £75,000 depending on experience
*No recruiters, thanks.
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
- Be part of a growing b-corp startup and help shape the future of food
- 32 days holiday a year (including Bank Holidays)
- 10 weeks of full pay for maternity/paternity leave
- Employer contributions to your pension plan
- We all have a meaningful bit of allplants that we own
- Healthy food and lunches every day at HQ and lots of allplants tastings (!) from our exceptional in-house chef and development teams
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- A free monthly tasting delivery of allplants for everyone to taste what's cooking!
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
Our office, The Greenhouse, is based about 10-minute walk from Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line. However, at the moment our office based staff are working remotely.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our Production Team works in shifts which cover all 24 hours) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. We embrace flexible working and adopt a ‘core hours’ model which is implemented differently from team-to-team.
How can I contact if I have more questions?
Please reach out on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions.
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.