Kitchen & Warehouse Operations /
We’ve created allplants to make eating more plants a supremely positive choice that is delicious, healthy, accessible and full of joy: an inclusive celebration of food and life: a fiesta, not a fast. Through our food and website we make it delicious and easy for anyone to make the switch towards plants one dish or day at a time, with delicious, chef-made, plant-based food straight from our kitchen to yours.
Already the leading plant-based living platform in Europe we’ve served millions of meal-times to homes UK-wide, subscribing for feel-good, healthier living. Our plans for 2021 and beyond are as exciting as they are delicious - growing our kitchen and product range to serve our expanding community of allplants people at pace!
allplants is one of only a handful of venture capital backed B-Corps in the world, dedicated to leveraging high growth principles in order to help solve the climate crisis at scale, using business as a force for good. Our chefs and creative food puts us at an exhilarating frontier of culinary invention, creating new plant-based delights to help anyone make the step towards trying out vegan for size - the fastest way to boost your health and chop down your food carbon footprint (by 35% with just one meal per day!). Our team of +140 cook, taste, create and (usually when not in lockdown) operate from The Greenhouse, our HQ in North London.
*no recruiters, thanks
Our Production team is responsible for the delicious dishes delivered to our customers from the moment we receive fresh produce through to the packaging and storage of our finished allplants meals & add-ons.
Our Shift Managers oversee a team consisting of Production Chefs, Platers, Kitchen Porters and Warehouse Assistants and are responsible for delivering results against agreed KPI’s in an efficient, process-driven, productive and safe work environment where a culture of respect, cooperation and growth can flourish within their respective shift and across the whole of our production team.
You will be the first point of contact for all needs within the shift while reporting directly to our Head of Kitchen Operations and coordinating with your peer Shift Managers on shifts performance, handovers, weekly production plans and any business and cultural needs.
This position will demand a high level of initiative and independence as you will be at the forefront of building a strong team performance across a number of functions working in a new shift pattern. However, with the help of your peer Shift Managers and your direct manager, you will have the opportunity to learn from the best and plenty of chances to grow within the business. We believe in supporting our team by helping them achieve more and adapting to their growth.
Working with us, you will:
- Take responsibility for our production kitchen and team on your shift. You will oversee all prep, cooking, plating, blast-freezing and packaging of our meals: as your team will be making each dish to our exacting taste and quality standards
- Be accountable towards the other shifts in our production team and hold them accountable to you by practising a culture of cooperation through comprehensive and relevant handover/feedback sessions
- Be energetic and enthusiastic with a real passion for great food, experienced in people and quality management and enjoy building and maintaining a flowing and competent operation
- Run a tight production operation to deliver and scale up daily production yields; hit target costings and apply sharp attention to process, detail and quality
- Have clear expectations of what you want from each team member (from KP to Team Leaders)
- Understand how to get the best out of your people, and bring experience at hiring, coaching, and developing individuals
- Nurture staff to develop a team that you are proud and confident to lead
- Collaborate with our operations and technical teams to continuously map and refine production processes to improve all stages of production and identify new needs
- Lead by example, sleeves-up and prepping or cooking wherever necessary, with a masterful understanding of every cut-size, cook-time, sauce thickness and plating finish - always ensuring consistent quality products, while looking out for & guiding your team.
The salary for this position is based on our internal salary banding and is between £32,000 to £40,000 depending on experience.
- Experience as an operational manager, running a busy production environment
- Passion for great food, slick operations and consistently brilliant flavours
- A sense of pride in achieving the highest levels of cleanliness and upholding health & safety
- A constant desire to improve quality, culture and systems
- A tendency for clear and proactive communication aimed at enhancing the team by listening, offering direction and speaking up when something is wrong, needs fixing or is jeopardising production or quality
- NVQ level 1, 2 & 3, HACCP Level 2 & Food Safety Certifications
- A personal focus not only on running an efficient team but also in promoting and improving cross-team cooperation
- Previous experience in a similar cook-freeze; cook-chill and/or food production environment
- Previous experience in a BRC accredited environment would be beneficial for any candidates for this position
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
- Be part of a growing b-corp startup and help shape the future of food
- 32 days holiday a year (including Bank Holidays)
- 10 weeks of full pay for maternity/paternity leave
- Employer contributions to your pension plan
- We all have a meaningful bit of allplants that we own
- Healthy food and lunches every day at HQ and lots of allplants tastings (!) from our exceptional in-house chef and development teams
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- A free monthly tasting delivery of allplants for everyone to taste what's cooking!
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
Our office, The Greenhouse, is based about 10-minute walk from Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line.
However, at the moment our office based staff are working remotely.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our chefs work in shifts which cover from 6am to 10pm, and our new nightshift will be structured to run for 8 hours across the evening) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. We embrace flexible working and adopt a ‘core hours’ model which is implemented differently from team-to-team.
How can I contact if I have more questions?
Please reach out on email@example.com if you have any other questions.
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.