Senior Python Engineer
Founded in 2016 by food-lovers and serial entrepreneurs JP and Alex, allplants is an award-winning planet-positive food brand and VC-backed B-Corp with around 65 employees on a mission to build Earth’s most forward-thinking food company, operating out of Seven Sisters, London.
Our plans for 2020 and beyond are bold, delicious and daring. To achieve our growth ambition of inspiring the next billion plant-powered people we are expanding our teams at pace, whilst also putting in place the foundations of a deeply mission-driven and customer-led culture.
The Senior Python Engineer role is an essential addition to the allplants Engineering team; you will take a leading role in defining, creating and owning key systems and bring essential expertise into our team to help us continue to create sector-leading digital experiences.
Our Python API and platform are integral to our business. In the coming months we will extend that API to provide more functionality to frontend services, overhaul our data infrastructure, and continue to level-up our dev-ops, scalability and security.
Have ownership throughout.
- Be hands-on with Python services crucial to allplants’ day-to-day functioningCoordinate the planning, execution and release of projects, working closely with the Product and Business Intelligence teams
- Help develop strategy for our APIs, data infrastructure, and integrations
Be a team player.
- Work in cross-functional squads with the frontend engineers, Product and Marketing to iteratively create sector-leading digital experiencesUse your expertise to coach junior engineers and level-up our team
- Contribute to hiring and further building out our team of top-notch engineers
- Define how we monitor our API and platform and maintain excellent uptimeHelp us refine our existing development and team processes to work even smarterA pathway into managerial responsibilities and/or continued individual contribution
You will be reporting into Barney Jackson, our Head of Engineering. You can find out a bit more about him here and here.
what you’ll need.
We’re open-minded and believe smart driven people can learn fast. You’ll be a great fit here if you [are/have]:
Must haves *
- At least 4 years of experience working with Python APIs
- Master of at least one Python web/API framework
- Confident with a common SQL DB, such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience combining and transforming data in data warehouses
- Ability to effectively trade-off quality and execution speedDesire to share knowledge and enable others
- Experience working in microservice architecture
- Bonus points for experience building APIs in Flask
The qualifications and experiences above are a guide and we’d still love to hear from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
- Be part of a business with purpose (certified B-Corp), using commercial growth to better serve people & planet
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment
- Salary - £45,000 to £65,000 depending on experience
- 24 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays), pension plan and stock options from day one
- Career development plan
- Healthy lunches, breakfast and snacks, and lots of allplants tastings(!)
- A dog-friendly office with cute pooches
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- Listed as Escape The City’s Top 100 companies to work for ✌️
Do I need to be vegan to work here?
No, you don’t! We’re an open-minded bunch and welcome all diets from plant curious to raw foodist, as long as you resonate with our mission to inspire people to eat more plants!
Where are you based?
We’re currently based in Seven Sisters (N15 4QA). We will be moving to our new office by the end of 2019, where the closest station will be Blackhorse Road.
What are your working hours?
This varies between teams (for instance our chefs work in shifts which cover from 6am to 10pm) but our standard office hours are 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday.
How can I contact if I have more questions?
Please reach out on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions.
a fair chance
Every role in the allplants team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drove us to contribute to a better world through our allplants purpose and mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.